AU Skrain and Ziyal Dukat

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Nerys Ghemor, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a WIP of my latest drawing...this is my AU Skrain and Ziyal Dukat. :)

Their history is WAY different than their canon counterparts--in the Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius universe, this Dukat is a good man who helps lead the Cardassian resistance against his world's Bajoran occupiers. Despite the fact that he was taken captive and forced to act against his will on Bajor, he determined that he would not allow his captor to use the child for her twisted ends...and during this dark time in his life, his yearning to escape and rescue his daughter Ziyal from whatever the Pah-Wraith vedek had in mind for her was just about the only thing that kept him alive.

Now, back on Cardassia Prime, that dedication is still alive. And these two are much more alike than you would ever expect if all you knew was their canon counterparts... :)

Reference pic: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3510272733_c70208fbd3.jpg

[​IMG]

2. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Really nice! I love Ziyal's expression, and the connection between both is very obvious. I can't wait to see the finished project.

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

That's amazing, I love it :D. Their eyes are wonderfully expressive, and the ridges and over features are really well drawn.

4. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks, guys! :)

I've still got a lot of work to do, and a few tweaks I think I still want to make to the ridging and so on, but I'm having a lot of fun with it! :D

5. Nerys Ghemor

Got a new scan, guys--and a title for the drawing! I call it "I've Got Your Back." [​IMG]

Did some adjusting on Dukat's neck ridges, and I think they flow a bit more naturally now.

One thing that I really love that the makeup artists did, when they created Ziyal's appearance was that they made the pattern of her eye ridges follow her father's almost exactly. You can really see the family resemblance! :-)

[​IMG]

6. Nerys Ghemor

OK...new progress scan! Still got a bit more work to do to get the basic shading on Ziyal's face. I've also decided I'm going to give this drawing the full treatment and come back with blending stumps as well, instead of just leaving it sketchy, so I'm going to have a lot more work left to do on this...

[​IMG]

7. Nerys Ghemor

OK, last update for the night.

Basic shading on the face is done--still need to do hair, clothes, and go back with a darker lead pencil for detail work, though. I'm hoping it will seem like Ziyal does have an ashen complexion, but not the same kind of grey her father has.

The scanner is being a little beeotch, unfortunately, but such is life! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nerys Ghemor

Getting close, but this still isn't the finished product. I've got to go back with darker-lead pencils to get the details and shading the way I want it. I'm SO looking forward to the finished product--and I'm the artist! ;)

BTW...I can tell you that AU Dukat spends more time and effort on getting Ziyal nice clothes, and not quite so much on himself. Given their circumstances, that means his clothing is a little more worn, more likely to be patched or repaired, than hers.

[​IMG]

9. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Not bad... looks good. :)

10. Nerys Ghemor

Well, it's still not there yet--needs more depth, but I'm hoping to be done in the next few days. :)

11. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

It looks fantastic to me. I don't have patience for pencil drawings, any more...

12. Nerys Ghemor

LOL, that's my attitude about Photoshop/GIMP!

And thank you very much for looking!

13. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Good progress! The shading really makes it pop. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

14. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks! I've got a bit of a cold, but I'll do what work I can on it. :)

15. Deranged Nasat

This is fantastic :)

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awww thats so sweet ^___^

17. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks guys! And here's the final version!!! :)

[​IMG]

18. Deranged Nasat

You are very talented. :)

19. Nerys Ghemor

Thank you for your kind words! :)

20. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Sorry for not commenting on this earlier:alienblush:

The way that you have captured the essence of AU Skrain Dukat and his genuine love for his daughter is most impressive. I could not imagine 'our' Gul Dukat sporting such a warm smile and relaxed posture:lol:

To be honest your Skrain Dukat is one of my favorite Cardassians (along with Gul Treben Berat of course;))

Fantastic artwork NG!