NEW AVATAR Trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Blue_Trek, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

2. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome trailer! The early buzz was indeed pretty lackluster on account of the first teaser trailer, but this has renewed my enthusiasm for the film. Here's to hoping it's as amazing as it looks!

3. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Ok now... Ok now, I wanna see this movie!

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I liked the sheer visceral approach of the first trailer better. This trailer is, as the writer puts it:
    But even still, it's a trailer for Avatar, and as such has some nice visual moments. The dialogue is pretty cliche and trite ("we will send them a message... that this, THIS IS OUR LAND" - no, really?), but hey, I'm not going to watch this movie for the dialogue.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

A far better trailer with far more convincing aliens now that they are talking and expressing emotions.

I'll be seeing the movie and hope the story and acting doesn't get swallowed by the visuals.

6. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Gonna see it no matter what.....
    Looks like a big fun thing!

7. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I was REALLY impressed by the mouth movements of the Nav'i. Up til now, even the best CG has had a hard time making that kind of thing look natural and real (Dr Manhattan being the latest example).

But this really looked like speech that was coming from within the person, and not just grafted onto a CG face separately with a computer program.

The rest of the trailer was cool too. Even if the story itself isn't original, it still looks like it's going to be emotional and exciting as hell. Unlike a lot of filmmakers, Cameron always seems to know how to get THOSE elements right.

9. FluffyUnbound

FluffyUnbound Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was pretty strongly in the "anti" camp based on the first trailers for this. I had a strong negative reaction to the overall production design and art design choices that I doubted could be overcome even by a really strong story.

But I am gradually being worn down. This is in fact a little better than the first trailers. And it's James Cameron. Every time AMC shows Aliens again I get a little closer to summoning enthusiasm for this film.

10. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

Nah, sorry. The first trailer sucked. This one is just as bad, if not worse.

"You're not in Kansas anymore..." Jesus, gimme a break.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be seeing it but just not really seeing the hype.

12. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Now that I have seen it in HD, it looks good, this will be like a
    "Dances with Wolves" but in space with awesome special effects.

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    That's kinda how I'm approaching it too. If you look at all of Cameron's movies, there's nothing particularly original about his concepts. He's always treading in very well worn territory. It's the nuances of his execution that make him so damn brilliant. And nuance is something that's very hard to distill into a trailer.

I'm not particularly worried, especially since I've seen lots of disappointing movies lately that had super-excellent trailers (Terminator Salvation). Maybe this time the underwhelming, cliched trailer belies a super-excellent movie.

14. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I still think it looks great.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I was not impressed with the first trailer but this one looked a hell of a lot better. The FX actually looked real this time.

16. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Here's an interesting video comparison between the effects shots in the two trailers:
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/10/31...r-comparison-video-and-international-posters/
    Apparently, they reworked some of them significantly between the trailers' releases.

I am quite impressed by the new trailer. While I didn't exactly dislike the teaser, I was somewhat underwhelmed and left wanting. The new one, however, looks great. I watched it at least 10 times and kept getting more excited about the film. I still don't love the design of the Na'vi and the story does feel somewhat familiar, but the whole thing looks like a lot of visually impressive fun.

17. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was fairly offput by the Na'vi design in the first trailer, admittedly - they just didn't seem quite right, be that uncanny valley or the space between eyes or body proportions, there was just something rubbing me the wrong way.

This trailer? I don't feel that anymore, not really. One or two minor touches bugged me (there's a single picture of a native that looks goofy) but overall it's a pretty solid and very well realised humanoid alien look.

Either that or I just warmed to them, and I was only lukewarm to begin with (in principle I love and have always loved human-looking aliens with different skin colours and so on - c'mon, I'm a Star Trek fan).

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Well I love the trailer... And I even liked the teaser trailer. ;)

If you freeze-frame certain scenes they do give you some additional plot info if you look carefully:
    It looks like several additional characters also "go native" to help the Na'vi at the end of the movie. Weaver's avatar is there, and Rodriguez character has Na'vi war paint on her face and flies gunship with the same paint on its sides. Neytiri(sp) and Jake also seem to be carrying communication earpieces.
    A nice official "HD" featurette (4 mins) has also been posted on Youtube, and it contains both new clips as well as the usual interviews with Cameron and the stars:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geNv6FUK0HU&feature=player_embedded

19. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

Much, much better than the teaser.

It's kindof a story we've seen a thousand times over, isn't it? But it does look bloody epic. Of course I'll be there opening night.

Re: the VFX

This link: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/10/31...r-comparison-video-and-international-posters/ is pretty convincing evidence that they're working to desaturate some of the color from the film - MUCH needed IMO. The newer versions of the shots look much better than in the teaser ...

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like a 300 million-dollar Star Trek: Insurrection with blue elf-people.