Whatever happened to Star Trek: USS Hathaway?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Freman, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was really looking forward to this. I'm assuming it's dead in the water?

Anybody know?

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I have the same question. Their website has been down for some time.

3. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

4. Barbreader

Thanks. My entry on them had turned into the road to nowhere. Now, a body can find information.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That forum seems to consist mainly of posts about other television series with links to places to buy DVDs.

6. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I noticed that, too. Hmmmmm....

7. Barbreader

Well, it's all that I have. I'll have to look it over more carefully at another time. If there is really no activity, I'll boot the project to a letter below AA, in my blog 143, where projects which are on hold or abandon and never produced a fan film are sent.

8. CmdrAJD

CmdrAJD Commodore Commodore

In July, Brad sent out a notice to the people involved in the project stating that he was putting the production on what he called indefinite stand-by status. He hopes to pick it up sometime in the future. Brad and I went through several drafts of the script over the last few years, so it's more than a little disappointing that the project hasn't come together. However, I know these films are a tremendous effort under the best of circumstances. Throw in the ravages of the beast known as "real life," and things can easily get derailed.

9. Barbreader

Thanks. I'm going to move it to hold status.

By the way, anyone who has updates on any of my other listings in blog 143, you're input is requested. I do get update e-mails from some of them (and I note those e-mails on the blog, if you see an e-mail noted, there has been activity in the last few months) but there are others, well, I don't know their status.

http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/143.html

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  10. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:( I didn't realize it had gone this deep into standby status. I talked with Brad in August but I guess I was so eager to see some TMP era Trek that I didn't realize he meant STANDBY when I heard him say it was on standby. :(

11. CmdrAJD

Hopefully he'll be able to get things going again. If not, at the very least I'd like to see him post one or more of the script drafts, so people could read what he had in mind.

12. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I always thought they had most of it filmed given they posted the trailer!

13. CmdrAJD

They shot the trailer footage first. I think that it was also a test to see how the green screening would look. Some of the lines in the trailer weren't in the script. I'm not sure if they would have been added in or not.

14. USS Intrepid

It's not unusual for a fanfilm group starting out to shoot trailer footage, or test footage first, so they can try things out. That's certainly what we did (though I realise not everyone works that way).

Anyway, Brad's a good guy, and I hope he can pull it all together. I know he had some good stuff planned.

15. CmdrAJD

That he did. I was excited to see it come to life. We had one follow-up script and several other stories planned. Hopefully he'll be able to regroup soon.

16. Dr_Vorzok

Dr_Vorzok Cadet Newbie

As one of the actors, I really wish things would proceed as well. From what I knew at the time, almost 1/2 of Genesis was filmed before things came to a stop.

Brad has alot going on right now, from what I've been able to get from him in not too frequent conversations. Its my hope things restart soon (next year some time).

17. CmdrAJD

I didn't realize he'd gotten that far along. I'd love to see the raw footage. I'll have to bug him at some point.

18. Capt. Jeff Pierce

Capt. Jeff Pierce Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello all. First I want to thank you for your interest in our show it is very heartfelt. I'd like to address the questions in this post.

Star Trek: USS Hathaway is currently on indefinite stand-by for the time being. If I were to ever declare the project "dead", as Alan has alluded to, I would at the very minimum release the script for everyone to read. He and I both did a lot of work on it and it certainly deserves to see the light of day in one form or another. I think we have a quality product and the story arcs I have in mind are ones that I think would strike a chord with all Trek fans (of course, my opinion is biased ;)).

There have been many challenges that I have faced which weren't expected at the start of the project. It seems like every time I try to focus attention back on it, something else rears its ugly head. At times you do feel like throwing in the towel as the good captain of USS Intrepid can probably attest to. One thing I don't want to do is slap something of crappy quality together just to say I've gotten something "in the can". Do we still face challenges? Yes. Unfortunately I do not have a crystal ball to find out what will happen in the future. I can say that these following options are still on the table...

1. A live action (w/digital background) fan film as presented in our trailer. This is a challenging goal especially when you have a decent sized cast who are volunteers and you have to coordinate schedules (especially when your own is chaotic).

2. A fully animated CGI production (i.e. Star Trek: Aurora) which by the way I highly recommend to you if you haven't seen it.

3. An audio version.

4. A novelization.

5. Release of the script as is.

Option 1 is still the goal but at this point the trailer (while still representative of the script) is more of a proof of concept as time and situations have changed. While the delay is regrettable I think it will ultimately improve our overall quality of final product. Yes, that means we'll be re-shooting any live action (though not digital i.e. effect shots) sequences you've already seen.

We are currently working with the USS Grissom project in which Jeffery Pierce takes a part in. "Star Trek: Grissom" is an audio adventure which chronicles the events of USS Grissom up to and including it's demise. They are working under the Hidden Frontier banner.

If anyone is willing to volunteer, I need someone willing to help maintain our web presence. As you have noticed the website has been down for some time. I'm hoping to get something up by the end of the year (at least with basic information). Someone that can maintain and police the forum as well (our last one was overrun by spammers). We have, in the past, had people make promises and then not follow through so if you want to volunteer please make sure you can commit.

I'll close for now saying the interest and concern for the project is very heartfelt. It is a labor of love and it is good to know people are just as eager to see the final product as I am in getting it done.

19. USS Intrepid

Brad, keep at it. I know you'll get there.

20. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Gotta say how much I've enjoyed (and still enjoy) the Hathaway trailer. Cool characters and a setting from Trek II-VI that hasn't gotten a lot of use in fan films. I don't think we've ever really explored what kind of bedside manner a Vulcan doctor would have (something that saddened me when Next Gen pulled away from it) and a starship with two sections that can travel at warp speed after a separation. Great alien makeup and fun dialogue. Maybe you could start with a vignette and work up from there?