Life-Size Shuttlecraft Help

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Bradester, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Bradester

Bradester Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi guys! I know I'm new and this is my first post, but I've been Googling for ages and I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. Maybe you can help?

My friends and I go NUTS on Halloween. We've constructed haunted houses themed as Batman, Star Wars, Fantastic 4, Scooby Doo, Ghostbusters and Pirates; all with full-sized props such as the Ectomobile, Mystery Machine, and a pirate ship with all the costumes to match. Months of effort go into it and people come from miles around to visit us. Its great fun and that's the only reason we do it.

This year we *really* want to do a Star Trek theme, and I *really* want to build a life-sized shuttlecraft from the new Trek flick. I'm not talking the mass people transport shuttle, but the smaller ones that were used to flee the USS Kelvin that are about the size of the classic Galileo. The only problem is, for the life of me I can't find any reference photos of the smaller shuttles except for the people transport kind which I dont want to do.

If anyone could post pictures, drawings, sketches, *anything* of a new small shuttle exterior, which will be about 20' long by 7' tall by 12' wide, I would greatly appreciate it and I will post the construction process on this board for all to see and help with. I know how Im going to build the frame/skeleton out of ABS plumbing, it's just the outside design Im stuck on. Thanks for your time and wish me luck!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Brady, hopefully someone will come along soon and steer you in the right direction for the information you need.

When you do get started on it, please post pictures ... i am sure i am not the only one who would love to see this project in action!

Good luck and have fun!

3. roarimaraptor

roarimaraptor Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I cannot help you but that sounds AWESOME. Are you or any of your friends single? :P

4. Bradester

Single? Weelllllll.....maybe :-P BUT, my 2 friends who live at the house where we do the haunted house are married so HAHA!

5. roarimaraptor

roarimaraptor Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ah, too bad. But be sure to show us pictures if you ever get it going.

6. Bradester

I was just thinking. Was there an official comic book of the movie? Did it have shuttlecraft pics anyone could scan?

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

You may be thinking of the Star Trek: Countdown comics. Good luck on the project and post pictures!

8. Bradester

Well there wont be a project if people dont help to post pictures :-P

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I contributed what I could... information.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The only images of those shuttles I'm aware of are screencaps taken from the various trailers and other officially-released video clips. TrekCore's got a nice collection and TrekMovie's got a few things you can look at. There have also been a few threads with screenshots posters here have made. Until the Star Trek: The Art of the Film book comes out in November, there's nothing else in the way of reference photos to be had.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  11. Bradester

Construction starts this weekend so any suggestions, ideas and drawings by you are greatly appreciated and everything will be taken into consideration! If you ever wanted to design a shuttlecraft and see it built in real life, here is your chance!

Attached is graphic for you to alter and then upload with your design, as close to a new Trek design as you think you can get.

M'Sharak, thanks for the links as they are very helpful!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  12. Bradester

Bored at work, so I start doodling. Maybe something like this, but a little more aggresive in the colors. Im color blind so I dont know if I did blues, greens, or grays; but they are supposed to be grays.

[​IMG]

13. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Make sure to use the very futuristic looking strips of plastic hanging down from the ceiling like those used in Robau's shuttle.

That incredible special effect must have cost MILLIONS and really made me believe that I was watching something from the future!!!! :wtf:

14. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ omg. i loved those plastic strips. i thought it was very realistic. seriously!

didnt they also use them in ENTERPRISE? I seem to remember seeing them in that show too.

15. Bradester

Well, I was hoping to get more design help.... but I'll keep working on my original design since nobody has said anything yet otherwise. Below is a to-scale drawing of what as of now, the shuttle will be. Body in shades of gray and aging process will also add to the realism of the paint.

I think I've decided that the inner-box / interior, roof and bottom will be a mix of ABS tubes and plywood for support; and for the outter skin/hull to be made of rigid insulation foam. This will help lower the total weight of the shuttle, and also give it a totally smooth surface to paint so it doesnt look like a huge plywood box. Cost is about the same to make the hull out of foam than wood, even though wood might be more durable, but weight is going to be an issue I bet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  16. M'Sharak

Well, this forum is primarily for the purpose of talking about the movie, but if you're looking for design feedback, perhaps the Trek Art forum might be a better bet for you. They have projects like this one going on over there all the time, and the forum is frequented by a number of people with some pretty serious design chops.

Have a look around, and if you want me to move this to Trek Art, I can take care of that.

17. Bradester

Yes please. I would appreciate the move to help get the most traffic and suggestions.

18. M'Sharak

^ Okay, moving now. Buckle up! :)

[​IMG]

19. Bradester

Hi guys. Any ideas, help or suggestions? Off to Home Depot for parts!

I've decided the "wings" will most likely be built so they are wider, holding the engines further away from the hull, all time permitting of course. The main hull will be built first, and then the "wings" since I have no idea how long something like this will take. Hopefully just laying the parts out will be the time consumer and assembly will go quick. Rustoleum Light Gray will be the body color of choice, as their darker gray seems to stay sticky on the test piece of foam and the lighter dries very nice. I will do accent pieces in the darker though. We shall see.

20. Bradester

Well, for 4 hours today I think we did pretty good.

This:
    [​IMG]

turned into the floor of the shuttle:
    [​IMG]

which even got the interior walls/hull framed out:
    [​IMG]

The nose and angled side pieces are up for constuction next. (and no that's not me, it's a friend who lives in the house we do the Haunted House in yearly)