DC and Marvel animated DTV movie news

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Warners has confirmed that Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths will be the next DC animated DTV movie following the release of Superman/Batman: Public Enemies next month. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths is scheduled for release in early 2010 and is written by Dwayne McDuffie.

Meanwhile, Marvel's Thor: Tales of Asgard, originally scheduled as a September 2009 release, has been pushed back all the way to 2011 (when the live action Thor will be released). That means that the next Marvel animated DTV movie will be Planet Hulk in February 2010.

2. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope the Justice League movie is set in the DCAU.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The DCAU is over, has been for years.

Based on the title, sounds like a JLA/JSA crossover; could be good, though cast size might make it a bit unwieldy.

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

It won't be. The DCAU ended with the last episode of JLU.

5. CommodoreKong

They still have the unproduced Justice League Worlds Collide they could possibly do as one of these movies. I'm hoping that this movie was just a renamed version of Worlds Collide.

6. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone know for sure if the planned Teen Titans: Judas Contract DTV has been cancelled? I remember hearing a lot about it around the time the Wonder Woman feature was announced, but it never materialised.

If so, it's a pity - much as I enjoyed the cartoon, I would have loved to see the Titans in a similar mold to the DCAU.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Teen Titans: The Judas Contract is on indefinite hold. That's been the case since prior to the release of Batman: Gotham Knight.

8. CaptainCanada

On hold. It scored the lowest in a DC marketing sample of prospective DTVs.

9. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

That sucks. I was looking forward to Thor. What happened? Did they fall behind in production? It should have been "in the can" by now.

I have no interest in Planet Hulk.

And I'm still waiting for a New Warriors or Nova solo project...or even a new Ultimate Avengers.

10. CaptainCanada

It's done (or close to it), they're just waiting for the Thor live action movie, the better to cross-promote.

11. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, "Crisis on Two Earths" is seen as a potential DCAU story because Dwayne McDuffie also wrote the proposed DCAU Justice League DTV titled "Worlds Collide"; and McDuffie was quoted by Newsarama saying,

The quote makes most people think "Crisis on Two Earths" may finally be the long dormant "Worlds Collide" that was meant to bridge Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. Personally, I think the reality here is that McDuffie has rewritten his "Worlds Collide" script into a generic Justice League vs. Crime Syndicate story (something more in line with an adaptation of Grant Morrison's "Earth 2"). I believe that's where the "what-could-have-been" comment comes from; McDuffie is talking about how it's the "World Collide" script, but it's no longer DCAU. I'll be disappointed if that's the case, but I think we'll see that's what happened.

Although, I do still find it strange that Mattel recently added Ultraman and Power Woman figures to the Justice League Unlimited toy line. Was it just something out of left field, or did Mattel want to be ready to cross promote?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  12. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

not just good..but great. I haven't really cared for the marvel stuff..but the DC stuff, Direct to DVD, has been great!

Rob

13. CommodoreKong

Hopefully if it is that story they'll be able to set it in the DCAU.

I'm not sure why Warner Animation would be against it. I imagine most of the people who buy these DVDs are fans of the DCAU and would love to see one final movie set in the universe.

For those who haven't seen any DCAU they could easily introduce the lesser known of the seven main characters and their abilities in an original opening fight scene similar to how Serenty opened with a history of the Firefly universe that helped bring non-fans up to speed but provided new material to entertain returning fans. The non-fans would never know any different and DCAU fans would love it.

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Then I am not happy..IT WILL not be a true crossover unless ALAN SCOTT (the true Green Lantern) was in it!!!!

Rob

15. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I was surprised by the Hulk Vs... movies, and I'm kinda' looking forward to Planet Hulk. Bummer about Thor though.

And I hadn't heard of this new Justice League movie, I'll have to look it up later.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, for one thing, your imagining may not be correct, and even if it is somewhat correct, it's not the intent. The DCAU was aimed at a youngish audience, including teen and college-age fans but accessible to younger viewers; whereas the DC Universe videos are deliberately PG-13 movies aimed at an older demographic. While there is overlap, they're not intended for the same audience.

For another thing, why should any creator want to be limited to doing only one thing for his or her entire career? Timm, Dini, and the others spent over a decade developing the DCAU; is it really that hard to understand that they might prefer to move on to trying new things rather than being perpetually typecast?

17. CaptainCanada

Just as an aside, if they ever got around to making Worlds Collide, it would be only six main characters; Hawkgirl wouldn't be in it.

18. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

All well and good, but I bet there are many DCAU fans who would love to see a Direct to DVD movie in the DCAU; count me and my son in that group! For me, the best of the DCAU stuff is still better than some of these newer so called "mature" movies....

Rob

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

According to World's Finest current plans at Warners are to have three releases next year, same as this year, and that at least one of the 2010 releases will be Batman-themed.

Bruce Timm also said at Comic-Con that a sequel to one of the movies already released is in development, although he didn't say which one. Wonder Woman and Green Lantern: First Flight seem the likeliest candidates for sequels. Given past practice one would think there'll be another Green Lantern DTV released in the summer of 2011 to coincide with the release of the live action GL feature. Wonder Woman got off to a relatively slow start in sales compared to the other DC DTVs, but has held up very well over time and has now sold just below 90% of the DVD sales of Justice League: The New Frontier, so a Wonder Woman sequel is a possibility.

The first week sales numbers are in for Green Lantern: First Flight and it's off to a strong start with DVD sales (excluding Blu-ray) of 158,238 units. By comparison the first week sales for the last three DC titles were 106,342 units for Wonder Woman, 220,753 units for Batman: Dark Knight, and 160,736 units for Justice League: The New Frontier.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or this is based on one of the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earth's Crisis books where the JLA of Earth-1 and the JSA of Earth-2 team up since Crisis being in the tittle always seemed to be a comics thing and not a DCAU thing.