Discuss Greg Cox's The 4400: Welcome To Promise City (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by KingstonTrekker, Aug 4, 2009.

1. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't sure where to post this thread since it does not discuss a Star Trek book...then I noticed a thread here for David Mack's The Calling...so I thought I would post here!

As a fan of The 4400 TV Series I really enjoyed this novel. I also read the previous two books in this novel series, but this one felt the most "on target" in capturing the essence of the series. I also loved how Cox took this story in new directions, since this is the first novel to be set after the series' abrupt and inexplicable cancellation.

Lots of great twists and turns... Tom and Diana are back in action, Maia can still see glimpses of the future, Jordan Collier is up to his old tricks, the Marked are back, lots of characters with neat abilities due to fifty/fifty, appearances by plenty of familiar faces, and much more -- this one is a must-read for fans of the tv series!

2. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's on my list, but I have over a hundred books that I own on on the to-read list, so it will have to wait a while unfortunately.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Glad you liked the book!

There was another thread about it over in the SF & Fantasy section but it seems to have died out . . . .

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How much of a recap is there over the events of the show? I haven't seen it since it went off the air, and I only remember the very basic idea of what was going on when it ended.

5. Greg Cox

Knowing that the book was going to come out two years after the show went off the air, I tried to refresh people's memories throughout. There's not a big "Previously on THE 4400" intro at the beginning, but lots of useful exposition woven into the text.

"Burkhoff had first met Tess in a mental hospital five years ago," etc.

That sort of thing.

And the opening chapter pretty much lays down the status quo in Seattle following the series finale.

6. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ I take much the same approach in the next book, The 4400: Promises Broken.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool, because that's pretty much all I need to refresh my memory.

8. KingstonTrekker

I know Greg replied to your question, but I wanted to assure you that there is plenty of exposition embedded throughout the book to "catch you up." I really like how Greg did this -- he included the necessary background information into the book in an organic manner so it flowed along with the story. I was never confused or feeling like I had missed something since it has been so long since the series left the air.

9. Greg Cox

It's always a balancing act. I recall a review of my first 4400 book that complained that I spent too much time recapping information that most 4400 fans already knew. But in this case, since so much time had passed, I erred towards refreshing fuzzy memories . . . .

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  10. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved The 4400 series and have nearly all of it on DVD. I know there's not too many books out yet so I'm hoping I can get caught up. What books are out?

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Available:
    The Vesuvius Prophecy by Greg Cox
    Wet Work by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore
    Welcome to Promise City by Greg Cox.

Still upcoming:
    Promises Broken by David Mack

12. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And since it's a David Mack book, expect death and destruction on a scale never before seen...though how he'll beat the deaths of 63 billion and the loss of hundreds of planets I'm not quite sure...

13. Greg Cox

Note to self: do not invest in Seattle real estate.

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

^ Might want to sell off any Vancouver and/or Portland assets you might have, too, while you're at it...

15. KingstonTrekker

Welcome to Promise City does make reference to "The Big One" (I assume meaning West Coast Earthquake) occuring "sometime in the future." I just assumed that Greg Cox was foreshadowing David Mack's next book in the series. :) :)

16. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks Christopher! Now I just have to find these in a store.