Aw, crud! Margaret Clark is gone now, too.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Biggshow, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure you all saw the story on the main page. Simon and Schuster downsized Margaret Clark out of a job. Thanks for all the hard work, Ms. Clark. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Who's left?

2. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

No, no, no, no, no! :(

Best of luck Margaret.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well shit.

Best of luck to Ms. Clark.

4. Lorraine Anderson

Lorraine Anderson Writer Red Shirt

Margaret, best of luck...

I'm finding it interesting that the "careers" link on the Simon and Schuster website points to a broken link...

5. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jeniffer Heddle and Ed Schlesinger.

6. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

God, this sucks.

Margaret I wish you all kinds of luck and thanks for all the work you've done in making Trek fiction so great.

ncc71877:(

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

For how long though?

8. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I hate to say this but I'm not sad one bit. I think she was leading Trek Lit in the wrong direction. Unfortunately it's probably too late to undo what she has done.

Kevin

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. Best of luck, Margaret.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm really disappointed to hear that.

Good luck Margaret.

11. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

It's too early to know how this is all going to play out, but I don't see any way in which getting rid of two senior editors of Star Trek fiction in less than a year can be anything but bad news, regardless what you may think of their editorial decisions. If Margaret's gone, I can only wish her the best.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^That's true, but it's important to stress that this has nothing to do with Margaret's editorial performance or the sales of Trek books in general. As with Marco last year, this is part of a companywide round of layoffs at Simon & Schuster.

It stinks for anyone to have to lose their job like this. I wish Margaret well and hope she lands on her feet.

13. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

Agreed...we've already seen the ripple effect, in delays and cancellations, of Marco's layoff, so one tends to think that this layoff will exacerbate the matter. :(

Given what the movie has done for the franchise, this is terrible timing, even if that timing is coincidental.

Seconded, of course.

14. Cuhl

Cuhl Captain Captain

Wow, and so soon after Marco. That's really surprising. It does seem reckless to shake things up twice in rapid succession.

15. Aubergine

Aubergine Lieutenant Red Shirt

Damn, damn. That sucks, royally.

16. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yep. The thing is, if Pocket had fired her for some reason, that'd be more than bad enough -- but she'd at least probably be replaced. But when you're laid off because the company is tightening its belt (as I know from personal experience, as someone who survived a few layoffs but got hit eventually), you aren't replaced. Either someone who's still there has to try to do your work in addition to his or her own, or your work just isn't going to get done any more. There's a point at which you just can't make up for lost personnel and something has to give.

However, we don't know nearly enough yet to predict how this will all play out. So, best of luck for now to Margaret, her co-workers at Pocket, and the writers she's been editing.

17. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I've never heard of them. Have they done much Trek editing?

The entire book line has to be on very shaky ground creatively at the moment if nothing else.....there's always the question of whether the new hand on the reins will "get it", after all.

18. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Let me echo that sentiment. She's done a good job for a long time. This new concept of firing from the top down is good for the short term, but what happens when you hire a rookie who doesn't even know what Star Trek is?

19. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Ed was the editor on A Time to... and inherited several other of John Ordover's projects, and he has continued to edit New Frontier since John O. left.

Jen Heddle edited the Spirit Walk books due to having edited Christie Golden in the past when she was with Penguin Putnam, but that's her only Trek editing experience.

I've worked with them both (Ed on A Time for War, a Time for Peace as well as Spider-Man: Down These Mean Streets, Jen on CSI: NY: Four Walls), and they are both excellent editors. The line would be in magnificent hands either way.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

This is very sad news. I worked with Margaret on at least five projects and she was always a pleasure to work with--and an astute editor.

I really didn't see this one coming . . . .

I should add that I've worked with both Jen and Ed as well, and they are both more than up to the challenge.