Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The Kyushu is coming, along with a bunch of others! Woot!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that was news for a couple of weeks now.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the Breen ship. It looks a little too bright and colorful, like a kid's toy. What do you think?

3. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I really hope they tone down those colors as it quite garish looking in that photo.

4. Racer_X

Racer_X Commander Red Shirt

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Oh it was, just those were pics of the original models as they appeared pre-filming in BoBW. The pics in the new post are renders of the new CG model being used to master the Eaglemoss release.

It makes those three pods look like extra forward navigational deflectors in addition to the main one in the secondary hull. Up until that time, many had speculated they were torpedo launchers.

Agreed about the Breen colors - looks like a FIsher Price toy. The article thankfully does mention that this is a prototype and that additional color tweaking may happen there.

6. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does a bit.
    It also looks to me as though it has a Cobra sigil (G.I. Joe) on the front too?

8. Sans

It doesn't look like it. It IS it.

9. t_smitts

This was a surprising addition, especially since I don't think we ever saw the real thing, except in CG simulations. Might be cool to get someone like Wil Wheaton or Robbie McNeill sign the magazine.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but has anyone gotten someone to sign their mags?

I notice the NX-Alpha is on the list now too.

10. ST-321

ST-321 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Sorry for not digging through all 137 (!) pages here, but I keep eyeing these starships from Eaglemoss online (I haven't seen any in person) and haven't yet pulled the trigger on them. They look pretty great, but I'm not sure I'd want to subscribe to the whole program as it would get pretty expensive and some of the ships are pretty obscure. Are most people here buying them individually or subscribing to the whole thing?

11. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They get everywhere:guffaw:

12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

That model just looks gorgeous! It's cool that there able to do obscure things like this now.

I've been buying them individually, but got pretty much every issue thus far. :lol: Where I live, they're only up to issue 27, though.

13. t_smitts

I thought that was Hydra. :rommie:

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I get about 50% of them. All Starfleet starships (so not runabouts and stuff), and the occasional alien ship: D7, the ENT-era Vulcan ships, a couple Romulan ones.

15. Sans

Still have not gotten the ISS Enterprise.

16. t_smitts

I'm kind of the same way. I've accumulated almost every Micro Machine, plus a mix of about a dozen or so Furuta and Johnny Lightning ships, and my preference for a long time was ships that has never been covered by any of those companies, so a lot of them were ships from later-season DS9 or from "Enterprise" (Voyager ships don't really interest me, for some reason. Of the 22 or so that have or have on order the only one to originate from that show is the Equinox).

It was a while before I got any "hero" ships either, probably because I had pretty much all of them in one form or another. The first was the non-refit 1701 that I saw in a store and impulsively snatched up before someone else could. I got the Defiant this month and I just ordered the 1701-D and the NX-01 on eBay, so I'm definitely getting more comfortable about that (though I'm not really impressed with the pictures I've seen of the Voyager model so that one's not really a priority for me).

They don't get a lot of attention, but there's some really great alien ships I'd suggest you consider. The Jem'Hadar battle cruiser was the first one I got and it looks great. The detail on the Romulan drone ship and the 22nd century Klingon BoP are both incredible. The Andorian ship and the Cardassian Hideki are really nice too.

17. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't collected any ships since getting MicroMachines when I was a kid, so repeating the hero ships isn't really a concern for me. I did get the Andorian cruiser, actually, and I was tempted by the Hideki, but not enough-- these things are so expensive (my wife asked me to estimate how much I'd spend just last week!), so to break my Starfleet-only, it's got to be a ship I really like, no matter how well-done it is. I'm just glad to have models of ships like the Nova, the Centaur, and the New Orleans, all favorites of mine!

I skipped armored Voyager and mirror Enterprise... but my completist gene will drive me to get the Enterprise-A even though I already have the refit original!

18. ST-321

ST-321 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thanks for the replies. There are so many of these, it's kind of intimidating. I need a good Enterprise (no, bloody A, B, C or D) and an Enterprise D for my office, so maybe I'll start with those and see what happens.

Deep down I'm a collector, so starting something new worries me because I know where it will likely lead.

19. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I have almost all of them, missing just the ISS 1701 and the 3-nacelled 1701-D that they still owe me. Amusingly enough, I don't really care about half of them (or even remember them, since I haven't watched DS9 or Voyager since the 90s), but keep buying them for some reason -perhaps I was dropped on my head as a baby, lol.

20. t_smitts

Yeah, I admit it's a bit of a rabbit hole. They're like Pringles. No way you're just having one.

Admittedly they're a bit more pricey than the Micro Machines or Johnny Lightning ships were back in the day, but that's because they're typically of a higher quality and a heck of a lot more extensive.

The non-refit 1701 is really nice, in opinion. So is the Defiant (if a bit more bright and colorful than I'd expect). The quality of some of the other Enterprises are mixed, but it's worth it to have them all together. The Akira and the Centaur are both a joy to hold and the Excelsior and Reliant are kind of mainstays worth getting at some point. The Nebula looks good from most angles and the Equinox looks really good....

In other news, I just checked the Memory Alpha page and there's been a bunch of new ones added (though not necessarily in order):

-Voyager's Aeroshuttle
    -The Aurora from the remastered "The Way to Eden" (so not the Tholian ship with nacelles)
    -The Gorn ship from the remastered "Arena"
    -The Orion ship from the remastered "Journey to Babel"
    -The Romulan shuttle from "In the Pale Moonlight"

Not really any of the ships on my wishlist, but I can still hope...