Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I was thinking something recently - one of the DS9 characters in the novels needs to be recast - Joseph Sisko.

Who do you think would be a good choice to replace the late Brock Peters? I'd like to see Morgan Freeman's take on Joseph.

2. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hee... "March of the Jem'Hadar"

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why in the world would you need to recast an actor in your imagination just because he died in the real world???

4. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I first read William Shatner and Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens' The Ashes Of Eden, for some reason I always pictured Jack Nicholson as Androvar Drake! :evil:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

To be fair, sometimes my mind insists on playing by 'real world' rules when asking 'who would play so&so if this was a movie?' By which I mean, I try to imagine if this book were filmed now, who would be in it?

I mean, I just read To Catch a Thief, a 1940s set detective novel by Robert Kaminsky. Cary Grant plays a large role in it - as in, playing himself. So when I was reading it, part of me went 'So who would play Cary Grant if this were a movie. Can't think of any actor who's like him ...'

Then, a split-second later, I sort of went 'Oh, yeah of course ...

6. Christopher

Does that apply if you're reading, say, a TOS novel set during the original series? If you read a Shatnerverse novel with the older versions of the characters, do you use present-day Shatner and Nimoy but recast McCoy?

I do often try to imagine current actors for new book-only roles, but I don't like the idea of mentally recasting characters we've seen onscreen.

Odd, since Cary Grant starred in Hitchcock's 1955 film To Catch a Thief, based on a book by David Dodge. Oh, wait, you said the book is set in the '40s, not written then. I guess the author is making an homage to the film in some way.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought Morgan Freeman should be playing a Vulcan. Tuvok's father, for example.

8. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Kaminsky has a series of private eye novels set in 1940s Hollywood, each one involving stars of the time (Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, etc), sometimes with titles alluding to their movies.

9. Christopher

Heck, I would've rather seen Morgan Freeman play Tuvok. Tim Russ did a good job, but I always regretted that they weren't able to go the route they intended and cast him as more of a venerable elder/mentor type.

I also regret that they never got the late Roscoe Lee Browne to play a Klingon.

10. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Because if by some miracle the DS9-R books were to be filmed, they'd need to recast Joseph.

It's just a little mental exercise when bored, imagining other people in established roles. Who'd fit and who wouldn't?

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Correct but I didn't help matters by incorrectly naming the book in my orignal post! It's actually called To Catch A Spy (not thief) and is obviously a play on the title of that movie - Grant is working for British Intelligence in the novel. I was obviously thinking of the movie when I previously posted.

So who could play Cary Grant in the DS9R?! :p

12. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

For some reason, I'm tempted to say Brock Peters. :D I guess that would be the Bubba Hotep version of Cary Grant, though.

13. TailKinker

TailKinker Cadet Newbie

Vaughn - Robert DeNiro - older, commanding, and looks like he can still kick butt and take names.

Shar - Rodrigo Santoro (Xerxes, from 300) - looked pretty feminine and yet formidable enough for an Andorian.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh. I'm sticking with err, well I hadn't decided to use good old Bruce "John Sheridan" Boxleitner yet, but after seeing him in the first few episodes of Season 2 of B5, I've decided to go with him for Vaughn. I'm just curious to see the older goateed(sp) Sheridan, so I can see how much his appearances matches my vision of Vaugh. My Shar choice is still Vincent "Connor" Kartheiser from Angel.

I was just curious if any of the Vanguard authors have a choice for who would do the voice of Jetanien, because I have not been able to come up with anyone?

15. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I always hear Liam Neeson, myself.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OOo, I like that. He would deffinitely fit the bill. :thumbsup:

17. Christopher

I'm not a Vanguard author, but I've always "cast" Roscoe Lee Browne as the voice of Jetanien.

18. RookieBatman

I'm gonna get panned for this, but for some reason, I couldn't help hearing Edward Hibbert, who played Gil the food critic on Frasier. Cognitively, I know the voice doesn't really fit the part, but I still couldn't get the voice out of my mind.

19. Christopher

Looking left to right, I saw "Frasier" before I saw "Edward Hibbett" and thought you were going to suggest Kelsey Grammer. Who would be a good choice, come to think of it.

20. RookieBatman

True, although I also cast Earl Boen (Dr. Silberman on "Terminator," as well as a lot of voice work) as the Klingon Ambassador, so their voices would probably be too similar.