Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Ihlecreations

Ihlecreations Captain Captain

Wow, looks like aside from the Nacelles, Cryptic and I were on the same road. Um does this mean I can stop??? LOL they even thickened the neck in a way that my as of yet unseen sketches did.

2. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm... well, having read that, I see that the design they're using deviates quite a bit from Adam's ideas... which isn't necessarily a BAD thing, is it?

By that, I mean that we are now talking about two separate, but related, ship designs. One is the Enterprise... but the other may well exist as well, huh?

The main places I see the two designs differing are in the role (the 1701-F is clearly described as a "big freakin' battleship" role, much less than an explorer), in the shape of the primary hull (Adam's is circular, the Cryptic F is almost arrow-head-like), and the nature of the "neck" (Adams is functional as an FTL system, the Cryptic F appears to be entirely structural in nature). Plus a few other variations, particularly in the placement of the warp nacelles, for example (Adam's are closer together and further forward... the Cryptic one is further back and further apart, it seems). Oh, and there's a gap between the saucer and secondary hull in Adam's version, but not in the Cryptic F.

So... are we talking "Enterprise Class and Belknap Class," maybe?

3. Ihlecreations

Hey as long as you guys don't think I am an arrogant ass. I really wasn't trying to say "Hey I know more than you all" and thats how my post looked. Hey I value the advice, and more often I value how passionate everyone is on the BBS about the "look" of Trek. Now that being said I think Cryptic pretty much got the jist of it. The saucers not round and the nacelle struts are a little thin but it was just a sketch :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  4. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you read the Dev diary - I think that they said it was one of their first iterations, and it spawned further discussion so that may not be the final version of the overall 'Cryptic take' on the original design.

6. Tiberion1701

Tiberion1701 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Nope, can't quit :)

CapnLogan was supposed to be reaching out to you to talk things over. I urge you to push some of your design elements in places where theirs are sort of generic or bland (the saucer shape, the nacelles, and whatever else you feel like mentioning)

Still a long way to go! We have yet to see how they have implemented the necks in some meaningful way, how it separates for combat, etc.

By the way.. some people are comparing it to your releases, and preferring your detailing. So, there is that.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So far Cryptic's version looks way too much like the Sovereign. Hopefully they'll change the nacelles and make the saucer rounder.

8. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm... I actually kind of like the pointy nose a little!

Yeah, I definitely like the pointy nose!

I'm guessing that as the design process continues, the saucer might resemble the Sovereign less.

9. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the Cryptic design so far. I think the nacelles should be a bit bigger, and the glowy open bits don't have quite the same cutout, so doesn't quite capture the original. Also I don't like the slightly tapered saucer. I think it should be more elliptical.

But these are fairly minor criticisms. Overall I think they've done quite a good job of copying the original sketch.

10. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    On behalf of the IRC community, thanks for your contributions to Star Trek and STO fandom. I assure you that they're widely appreciated.

11. Ihlecreations

Hey guys, so i have while talking to some fellows at work that i am going to sculpt " my" version of the "F". Now this is going to take a long time one due to fact i am going to do it as i can and two because i have never sculpted a starship before. So i will be boldly going where i have never gone before. :) i will also finish the ortho in the next few weeks.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Cool, what material will you use? Are you going to build a subframe to support the sculpted material?

13. Ihlecreations

I am going to build a wood and metal armature and will use chavant clay, the same stuff thet used to make cars from. It is extremely hard and will hold detail.

14. sojourner

Ah yes, the Adobe. A classic car if ever there was one.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Can't wait to see the finished sculpture. Don't forget to post some WIPs!

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. LordSarvain

LordSarvain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

:guffaw::rofl:

18. Ihlecreations

Yes from the same people who bought you the bass o matic!

19. sojourner

^That's good Bass!

20. Ihlecreations

Post deleted.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011