would you guess this picture to me that the reputation of trekkie

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by AlphaTrek, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaTrek

AlphaTrek Lieutenant Junior Grade

[​IMG]
    Would you guess this picture to me that the reputation of trekkies?

2. LAFR

LAFR Commander Red Shirt

What are you, Yoda?

What the hell are you trying to say, exactly?

3. DBKlingon

DBKlingon Lieutenant

4. DBKlingon

DBKlingon Lieutenant

5. DBKlingon

DBKlingon Lieutenant

6. Ghel

Ghel Captain Captain

What are you attempting to say?

"Would you guess that this picture represents Trekkies to me"

"Would you guess that this picture represents the public's perception of Trekkies to me?"

"Would you guess that this picture OF me represents what I think of as a trekkie?"

Each would have slightly different responses.

1. Spam--very nice, but most people dressed up in their favorite sports uniform look just as dorky even if its more publicly acceptable. This isn't saying I wouldn't wear one or the other of course :o)

2. It's probably true that this photo does present an image of what many non-sf fans perceive to be Star Trek (and most SF) fandom in general. One doesn't have to look much farther than Galaxy Quest or Trekkies etc. to see this. Alas, those who dress up in costumes outside of conventions and/or haloween is probably quite small. Of course, it's also a rare breed of Trek fan that doesn't have innumerable outside interests.

3. Well, the ears could use work. . . :o)

Perhaps I've pondered too long something intended to be spam. :cool:

7. DBKlingon

DBKlingon Lieutenant

It's not spam. I met AlphaTrek at my local Crossfit class and we joined this site together. We were discussing over lattes how people perceive us Trekkies to be. The discussion started after I showed up to the Crossfit workout to grind out a Fran session in my Federation uniform. Well, just the shirt; can't do Fran in those pants so I was wearing shorts.

Anyways, there were a bunch of closet Trekkies there and they all came up and told me how they were huge fans as well, but were to shy to wear their shirts to any of the workouts because Trekkies tend to get a bunch of flak from the typical meathead/jock crowd at Crossfit who get off on rhabdomyolysis. So we all went out for lattes afterwards and were discussing how people perceive us Trekkies and we agreed that even WE kinda had a tendency to think of other Trekkies as being close to the representation that AlphaTrek posted up on here. So I think AlphaTrek was just wondering what everyone on here thinks about how Trekkies are perceived not only by others, but by ourselves as well. I think this is definitely a legit topic.

I couldn't resist telling him that his mother has a smooth forehead in Klingon though!

8. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is English not his first language, and he used Babelfish for his post?
    Is there some reason you posted three dead links in klingon?

9. DBKlingon

DBKlingon Lieutenant

Klingon's not my first language, so I cut and pasted the phrases from a Klingon language forum that I belong to. They say hello, yes and your mother has a smooth forehead!

And English isn't his first language. He moved here from Myanmar after the military coup there a couple years ago. I was shocked to find that they have heard of Star Trek over there.

10. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything about this thread screams spam. You gave no clear topic, posted a collection of random bits, and then quickly devolved into a chat thread... in English and Klingon... for you and your friends. I am not amused so I am closing this.

Just as a reminder, next time you start a thread in this forum (or anywhere else on the board) it needs to have a specific topic, preferably related to the forum it is posted within, and should either ask a question or make a statement while fostering a healthy inclusive discussion for all members.

And DBKlingon and AlphaTrek, you both have been a members for three days and I, along with several moderators in the other forums, have been forced to call you out several times. If I have to do it again it will be in the form of a warning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.