Remastered TOS: This really bugs me!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Duane, Dec 23, 2010.

1. somethingblank

somethingblank Cadet Newbie

i really digged the remastered stuff.

2. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

No way. They'd spend most of their time arguing about nacelle caps and orientation of the Bridge. Nothing would get done.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

That Klingon ship is one of the worst things in the new effects. You can actually make out the edges of the polygons on parts of it, and it's animated terribly.

4. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

That's right. I don't see why they don't show the cameras and crew. After all, it's a TV show.

5. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:lol::lol::lol:

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

AFAIK, programs filmed for television from the 1950s through the ’70s were composed for the full frame, to match the 4:3 aspect ratio of the old TV screens. Some allowance was made for the slight cropping of the image in transmission (the “TV safe” area).
    The theatrical presentation of Galaxy Quest uses three aspect ratios in sequence. It begins with the “TV episode” in 1.33:1. Then the frame opens up to 1.85:1 for the convention and alien introduction scenes. When Tim Allen's character gets shot up into space, the frame expands further to 2.35:1 for the remainder of the movie.

For Trek TOS-R, mixing widescreen FX shots with the original 1.33:1 footage would mean constant switching back and forth between different aspect ratios. The effect would be distracting, to say the least.

7. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remastered Trek is broadcast in widescreen here in Britain. The FX has slightly more at the sides, but the live action is cropped. Additionally the text is redone for title sequences and end credit cards, so the lettering is recentred within the 16:9 frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. ChristopherPike

The top image in each case is taken from the DVD set and the one below is the ratio broadcast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ChristopherPike

10. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

I've watched it on CBS as well about the cropping. I have to say I prefer watching the DVD's no ads to interfer with my veiwing. I prefer the new remastered, okay it's not perfect but it's far better than when first televised nearly half a century ago.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I hope that cropping isn't actually what they did, because it's hideous. Not only are the top and bottom cropped, but the sides are pulled in, losing more of the picture.

12. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

13. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not hard at all, I've done it. I made DVD-R copies of the Laserdiscs and put the "one minute" where it belongs. I also put the original orchestration of the main titles in the appropriate episodes, added a boatswain's whistle prompt Commodore Mendez to say "Mendez here, what is it?" and a communicator beep at the end of "A Private Little War."

And in the first part of "The Menagerie", just to see if I could do it, I blew up the shot on Spock's monitor in his cabin, when he watched Kirk in the transporter room and the camera pans out to show Mendez. I blew it up enough to get rid of the monitor and have it make more sense. Funny thing is, the background sound effect of the transporter room is louder in that shot, so it fits. Turned out pretty good, actually.

I rather like the new effects for the most part. Some are better than others, to be sure, but 85% of them are unobjectionable. However, there are many times when I want to see the originals, so I'm glad they gave us the choice.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

What bugs me is fans using the word "remastered" when they really mean "new FX."

15. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

None of these things bug me.

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only time the new effects bother me is when they don't really support the dialog or the performances. For example, some shots in The Doomsday Machine, while beautifully done, don't jive with the dialog and actions shown. It only happens a couple of times, and there are always people to say "oh well this and that to explain it," but that doesn't hold much water when it was never an issue before the new FX were done.

Otherwise, it's all a matter of taste. I thought the opening combat in Errand of Mercy was disappointing, but the work in Tomorrow is Yesterday was showstopping.

17. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

But they were remastered as well. I mean, the quality of the Bluray over the original release is stunning.

18. cbs7lb

cbs7lb Cadet Newbie

I preferred the original woman singing her heart out, the new one just isn't the same.

19. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Word. They should have left the opening credits UNremastered, just like the closing ones.

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

^Agreed.