WWMJD? WWTD? WTF, FTW OMG ...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by WRStone, Sep 11, 2010.

1. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As was pointed out by blssdwlf in this post, it seems like a lot of the Treknologically-related threads break into one of two camps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(If you don't get the joke, go watch Galaxy Quest right now. I suspect every member of the forum's seen it ...)

Me, I'm a WWMJD? kinda guy, though I recognize the validity of WWTD? at this point in the franchise.

Which are you? :D

Dakota Smith

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Me, im very much WWDDD. :p

Although, I suppose that would fall under the WWMJD camp, so count me in that.

3. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

4. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

What would Mary Jane do with a half pound o'coke?

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL this is awesome. Don't forget Franz Joseph (WWFJD) and Michael Okuda (WWMOD) and a host of other designers that might have had their original intent altered by practical costs or a differently opinionated production manager or script writer...

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

On the money (so to speak)!

What Would Matt Jefferies Do With A Huge Pile o' Cash :lol:

I wouldn't call myself a TOS purist, per se, so much as someone who could appreciate what might have been if they could've afforded a bit more than drywall and carved wood props ;). They did great things with what they had, and I really like the explorations of "what if this were detailed up a bit more," rather than, "the old stuff was crap - let's redesign everything so it's kewl."

7. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, it was actually intended as a breakdown of two schools of thought:

WWMJD approaches the original Enterprise in particular from the perspective of its designer, using only what we know he thought of the ship. The WWMJD intent is to figure out what Jeffries designed versus what was built, his intentions versus his realizations.

WWTD approaches the Enterprise as part of the larger franchise. It attempts to reconcile TOS design choices with the franchise as a whole.

Specifically, in the thread which inspired me, the idea was put forth as a WWTD approach. The intent (pretty successful so far) is to put a vertical and/or horizontal intermix chamber that we never saw into the engineering hull of the original Enterprise.

Hence the WWTD approach. Logically, from the perspective of the franchise as a whole, the original ship must've had an intermix chamber -- we just never saw it.

From the WWMJD approach, there's ample evidence that there was no such item in the original ship. In fact everything having to do with the engines but the dilithium crystals were in the nacelles.

The Thermian approach says: build what we saw in the show, because everything we saw is what was "real". Even the parts that are self-contradictory can be reconciled with enough creativity.

Dakota Smith

8. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

OOOOH.

I took it on a much more basic level, as in What Would the pro's do and then I considered the thermians to be "fanwank", ya know, the 12 nacelled superships that ST:Miranda was so fond of.

I probably fall somewhere between the two then :P

9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you even seen "Galaxy Quest" ? :D

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Yes, I have. :p

And, well, yeah, I see what you mean now. Its just I had the whole droning voices in my head and just imagined the uber geeks for some reason.

Sorry, I've been drinking :p

11. GilmourD

GilmourD Commander Red Shirt

What would Quagmire do?

[​IMG]

12. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What I want to know is What Is Laliari Looking At?

Marian

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

More like "Who would Quagmire do?"

The answer, of course, would be "almost anyone."

14. GilmourD

GilmourD Commander Red Shirt

ALL RIGHT!!!

Giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity ...

15. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

^

This is why we can't have nice things...