Sierra 59 - March Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Kaziarl, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I've flashbacked to this event in Kaziarl's past once or twice, toyed with it, but never really looked at it that closely. This months challenged inspired me. KM gave us a challenge of:
    Instead I went with a tragic event that will eventually lead him to do great things.

2 Days Ago

Adam McAndrew, 8 years old, had already decided he didn’t like school. Granted, it was the first day of elementary school, but it took him away from his mother. He knew just fine how to read, and he knew his numbers, so why should he have to go?

“Good morning class,” the teacher greeted them as they sat down.

“Good morning Lady T’vel,” Replied the students.

“Today were going to talk about the history of this sector of space,” T’vel explained as she turned on the monitor. “Adam, can you tell me who controlled this system two hundred and thirty years ago?”

“Who cares, we control it now.”

“That answer is illogical, one must learn their history.”

“What is there to learn except whoever it was wasn’t as good as Starfleet?”

If the Vulcan standing in front of the class was irritated, she didn’t show it. Typical for a Vulcan he supposed, he still didn’t see the point.

“Very well, Tomen Laren, do you have an answer?”

Laren; arguably the smartest child in the colony Adams age; smiled from ear to ear as she began to give a lengthy answer.

“Ma’am, this area of space used to be controlled by the Romulans. After the old Earth-Romulan War they abandoned several sectors of space prior to the establishment of the Neutral Zone. Since then, other than an occasional encounter with a stray ship, the Federation has had little to no contact with the Romulan Star Empire.”

“Very good Laren, you’ve just answered my next three questions.”

Laren practically glowed like a star; the rest of the class just rolled their eyes. T’vel was about to continue when her console beeped. She moved back over to it and pressed a control.

“Yes?”

The class strained to listen, but couldn’t quite make out what was being said.

“Very well,” she replied to whoever was there, and pressed another control. The screen behind her changed showing the school prefect; a Bolian Adam couldn’t quite remember the name of.

“Good morning students, I’ve just received important news from the Federation Council,” he said. His voice was low and solemn, even a four year old could tell something was up.
    “Two weeks ago, the USS Enterprise under command of Captain Jean-Luc Picard encountered a ship from the Romulan Star Empire. Before retreating back into the Neutral Zone the Romulan Commander left a message, simply saying ‘We’re back.’ The Federation feels that, due to our proximity to the Neutral Zone, that caution is advised. They will be sending the USS Pinafore to defend the sector; she will arrive in one week. While I welcome the ship and her crew, I am confident it is unnecessary.”

The screen went blank, replaced with the colony crest, as T’vel turned to her class.

“In light of this news,” she started. “It seems logical to send you home. And Adam, be sure to read up on the colony history.”

1 day ago

Adam couldn’t help but feel excited, tomorrow was his birthday after all. It was one of several days depending on their culture; that every child of every race looked forward to. There would be an assortment of things that during any other time of the year would be deemed to unhealthy for him, and most importantly there would be presents. He was certain the presents were already hidden in his home somewhere; a carefully guarded secret of his parents, but that didn’t stop him from trying to find them.

So far he had checked everywhere except his parents’ closet, carefully watching to make sure he wasn’t being observed. His mother was making lunch, which kept her occupied conveniently. And his father was on duty in the colony science facility. Now was the perfect time to sneak in there.

His parents had chosen to live in an older style home, one with actual wooden doors instead of the standard ones of most federation buildings. This made it easier for him because opening the door to their bedroom didn’t have the accompanying noise with it.

After a few minutes of searching he didn’t find anything, there didn’t seem to be a single gift anywhere in the house. Adam had no choice but to admit defeat and retreat from his parents’ room, making his way to the kitchen.

“Are you sure?” he heard his mother ask someone.

“No, the readings weren’t clear,” replied someone, it was his father’s voice he thought. “The sensor grid detected something, probably that new cloak we’ve been hearing about.”

“Does the governor have any idea where they’re headed?”

“Again, no.” he answered. “Look, Jennifer, I wouldn’t worry about this too much. It’s probably a misalignment of the sensor arrays.”

“Still, maybe we should visit you’re folks on earth.”

“We’ll talk about it-“

“Peter-“

“I said we’ll talk about it,” he repeated. “After tomorrow. You know it’ll upset Adam if we pack up before the party.”

“Yes, you’re right,” she admitted. “I guess I’m just worried.”

“I know, just try to stay calm and don’t worry Adam with this. I’ll be home at 1730.”

“Alright, see you tonight then.”

Today – Birthday party of Adam McAndrew

Throughout recorded history a child’s birthday party has been the bane of a parent’s existence. A group of children running around like animals was bad enough; add birthday cake and ice cream and they become a force even a fleet of starships would have trouble contending with.

From a child’s point of view it was a glorious day. One where it was ok to act crazy and eat as much cake as you could before getting sick. And then once that passed, eat some more. So, with as much turmoil it might cause his parents, Adam enjoyed every minute of it. It would be another year before it happened again anyway.

While he was playing games with the other kids, he’d occasionally look over at the small stack of gifts nearby. They were sitting there, taunting him, making him want to open them even though he knew he had to wait.

“Adam, it’s time to op-“ his mother’s voice trailed off as a shadow passed over the field. Everyone looked up to see what was blocking the sunlight, and that was win the world of an eight year old boy was shattered.

Above the Sierra 59 colony six Romulan Warbird’s and a wing of scout ships decloaked, quickly taking out the orbital defense grid. Commander Tamalok smiled as he watched several of them fall through the planet’s atmosphere. The Federation hlaiin’vnau were caught off guard, weak, and now defenseless. He couldn’t imagine how his predecessors could have lost against them. The next step would be to bombard planetary defenses and centers of control, and after that the scout ships would land and the great ships of the Empire would transport their soldiers to the surface. It was all too easy.

When the screaming started, Adam ran. He thought he had run towards his mother and father, but in the confusion he must have gotten lost. He didn’t even recognize the park where the party was being held, it was a mass smoking craters. The buildings nearby didn’t look any better even as he watched streaks of fire lash out at them. He found a tree that had been split open and knocked over, quickly climbing into the opening to hide.

“Adam!” he heard his mother yell. He wanted to call out to her but couldn’t find his voice. He was even too petrified to move until he heard her voice again. As he peaked out of his hiding area he saw transporter beams all over the park area. He saw the look on his mothers face as the Romulans materialized and aimed their disruptors at her. A moment later, she fell to the ground as he dug deeper into his hiding spot.

“khre'Riov,” a khre’arrain called from his console. “Sensors are picking up ships entering the system.”

“Starfleet?” Tamalok asked. “You told me you took out the communication array before they got out a distress signal.”

“Yes khre’Riov, I thought I had, but they don’t appear to be Federation.”

“Then who?”

“Klingon,” he replied. “Readings are clearing up now. Four Vor'cha class vessels, six K’vort class, and three wings of B’rel class ships.”

“Send the lata’aen and the third wing to intercept. Reposition the first and second wing on this side of the planet and cloak. The rest of the warbirds will continue with the operation.”

“Yes khre’Riov.”

It was hours before Adam climbed out of his hiding place, all the while listening to more screams, and more disruptor fire. When it had finally gotten quiet he decided he had to find help, maybe even find someone to help his mother. He saw her get shot, but that didn’t mean she was dead… or at least he hoped it didn’t mean that. In the distance he could hear others, but he couldn’t tell who they were. He looked around, the smell of smoke and burning flesh filled his nose and stung at his eyes. He moved over to where he saw his mother shot, and as he knelt by her side he began to shake her to try and wake her up. Tears started to roll down his face as he shook harder, but it didn’t matter. She was gone, and he knew that, but he didn’t want to admit it.

Adam looked around to see if there was anyone else around when he saw the body of a Romulan nearby. The sight filled him with a feeling he couldn’t understand at his age, something he shouldn’t have to experience. He picked up a rock and stood up, moving over to the Romulan.

“I hate you,” he muttered quietly as he whipped away the tears. “I HATE YOU!!”

Adam fell to his knees and struck the Romulan across the face with the rock, causing the skin to tear. The blood trickled down the Romulans face as pieces of flesh fell away, revealing cracked and splintered bone. The soldier was unrecognizable now, but Adam couldn’t stop.

“mev,” someone called out. He ignored it even as he felt hands pulling him away. “mevyap boy.”

He looked up to see a Klingon towering above him, holding him back.

“Qas’ Devwi, I’ve found a survivor. Two to beam up.”

That was the day Adam McAndrew died, in the ash and rubble of Sierra 59. His life was taken from him, his parents dead, his home gone. He was scared of what would happen now as the Klingon transporter beam took hold of him, but as he watched the world he knew as home disappear some small part of his mind that could understand this vowed to make the Romulans pay.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. KobayashiMaru13

KobayashiMaru13 Captain Captain

Woa. Somewhat depressing, and I'm surprised the Klingons helped. Then again, the only people they despise more than the Federation are the Romulans. I can definetely see how that could motivate someone to do great things, considerring the anomosity he would have against their romulan antagonists.

3. Kaziarl

The time period given (Picard's encounter with Tamalok) the Klingons and the Federation were at a... well I guess you could call it peace. They'd likely respond to a colony distress signal. Especially if, as you mentioned, their Romulan Antagonists were involved.

4. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep...they'd get honor defending allies, and honor killing Romulan petaQpu at the same time.

(Did I get that plural right?)

5. Kaziarl

Don't ask me, lol. I may write about Klingon's, but I haven't learned all the intricacies of the grammar, and conjugations, and so on...

6. Nerys Ghemor

I dunno much about Klingon grammar either. I prefer my Cardassian conlang. ;)

7. Kaziarl

Well, I'm sure there's SOMEONE here who speaks Klingon. This many trekkies there's got to be one right? So maybe they will grace us with their presence and correct me but I think the way it works is adding a verb as a suffix/prefix

So in English we say birds. Cows, Chickens.

In Klingon it might be many'bird, many'cow, many'chicken
    Or bird'many, cow'many, chickan'many

Again, I could be totally wrong, so don't quote me.

8. Nerys Ghemor

Not sure either.

For the conlang I work with, the plurals are ALMOST as much of a bitch as German can be for an English speaker. Not quite as bad (in my personal opinion), but complicated.

9. KobayashiMaru13

Haha, i know absolutely nothing about klingon OR cardassian. now if its ROMULAN, im the Rihannsu Guru! ;)

my, im off topic.

10. Kaziarl

Oh, well in that case, wanna tell me if I got that handful of romulan words right in this story?

11. KobayashiMaru13

sure!

khre'Riov is most likely correct. im not sure of tomalak's rank at that point... but khre'Riov is "Commander-General", or commodore. khre'arrain is "Lietenant-General", or lt. commander, which is correct as well. then, lata'aen is a type of ship, also correct.

now, hlaiin'vnau means literally "escaped birds". so... well, this is used in reference to the federation, and is used as an insult, so it could probably work.

good job! :techman: :D

12. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

And I have a hard enough time speaking Standard.:lol:

You certainly portrayed a traumatic event in young Adam's life. Bad enough to witness the Romulan assault, but to watch as his mother was gunned down . . .

I thought the Klingons acted appropriately for this era. They were allies with the Federation, after all, and probably needed little reason to go after the Romulans.

The Klingon that picked up Adam probably approved of the boy's actions against the dead Romulan.

13. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with TLR, the Klingon actions make sense. Remember how important the Ent-C was when it defended a Klingon colony? So they would respond and, being Klingon, bring Big, Nasty ships in large numbers to do so. Did you get Tomalok's name spelled right? I'm too lazy to go to Mem Alpha right now, but I thought it was an "O". No big. Good story for Kaz's background. Always wondered...

14. Nerys Ghemor

It's "Tomalak."

15. Kaziarl

TLR and Mistral. Yeah, that was my thoughts when I first made the character of Kaziarl. After the Enterprise C was destroyed defending a Klingon colony, Honor would demand that the debt would be repaid even so many years later. I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

16. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

In the end he's just a low-down, dirty Rommie however you spell his name. :evil: