Anyone else love the catsuits?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jaespol, Apr 25, 2009.

1. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

I liked Kes' dress / catsuits. Especially this one:

[​IMG]

2. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. I always thought Selar was kinda cool... it's too bad her only actual appearance was in such a bad episode!

As to the topic at hand... I think the catsuits are dumb. For reasons that have been outlined extensively in this thread, it just looks unprofessional. And as JustKate pointed out, high heels in this setting is just insane. Climbing ladders and crawling through Jefferies tubes? Running toward (or away from, depending on the situation) a crisis point? Engaging in hand-to-hand combat with hostile aliens? In high heels? :rolleyes: "Impractical" doesn't even begin to cover it. As for the idea that all the female cast members wore high heels, that's an actress thing, not a character thing. Meaning, if Nicole de Boer or Kate Mulgrew or Gates McFadden were, in fact, wearing heels while playing their roles, that's fine. That's cause someone involved in the production of the show wanted those actresses in heels. But that's just out of universe, and you can't see them clearly below the uniform. So in universe, did Ezri Dax, Kathryn Janeway, or Beverly Crusher wear high heels while on duty? No.

Of course, when it comes to the issue of pure visual appeal (practicality or believability aside), it's largely subjective. As far as high heels go, I very rarely find them to add to someone's physical attractiveness. If a woman is wearing some kind of really fancy dress, the kind of thing you'd wear to a formal function or the academy awards or something (and at this juncture I won't get into how god-awful UGLY some modern dresses worn to awards shows by actresses and celebrities can be), that's one thing... there are some outfits that are hard to match up with anything but high heels and really look right. But I find that simpler cloths often make a woman more attractive to me than fancy attire anyway. And referencing (again) something JustKate mentioned, that a woman can be both sexy and professional, I agree with that 100%. In the context of Trek, I personally find that a standard duty uniform not only makes more sense, but is downright sexier - by far - than a catsuit. Seven looked much better in a regular sciences uniform than she did in her normal outfits. It's too bad that was only the one ep, but of course, she wasn't actually a Starfleet officer. Neither was Kes, nor T'Pol. But still, not wearing a uniform because you're not part of the service is one thing... that doesn't mean you have to wear a catsuit. Seven's initial outfit, in particular (the silver one), was pretty bad. And for characters that are officers, it's even worse. One of the biggest problems with Troi was that she was supposedly a fully trained Starfleet officer (with the rank of Lieutenant Commander, no less) and yet wore this ridiculous outfit. If there's one really awesome thing Captain Jelico did for the Enterprise-D, it was getting her into a standard uniform. After that (since she kept it for the most part following that episode), she suddenly became a legitimate character.

For the record, I would put the TOS female "uniform" (with the exception of what we saw in "The Cage") in the same catagory. I don't recall if Uhura or other female officers wore high heels, actually, but the super-short skirt really isn't much better than a catsuit.

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll tell you who shouldn't wear high-heels: Tricia Helfer. When you're 5'10", you don't need the help. I mean, ought I wear platforms?

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I hated the catsuits, but lets be honest, most of the clothing for women were blatantly sexist and exploitative. The only time they were truly egalitarian was in the TOS movies, The Cage, and the first 2 seasons of TNG. After TNG season 2 the men go to wear comfortable 3 piece uniforms (because they complained and a change was made) but the women were forced to continue to wear the skin tight outfits.

5. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But when you come right down to it, if you've got the figure for it, can't anything that's form-fitting be seen as sexist? Look at the basic comic book superhero costume, hero or heroine it dosn't matter, it's a catsuit.

6. SheliakBob

SheliakBob Commander Red Shirt

Sad truth, I loved the catsuits.
    Sorry.
    I know I'm supposed to be more enlightened and all that. But I've always appreciated it when Trek pandered to my baser nature.
    Sue me.
    I like Green Orion Women too!

7. You_Guyz

You_Guyz Commander

Haha, I was about to make a thread but then I searched and found this one.
    Yes! Catsuits were absolutely awesome and as the OP rightly said, T'Pol, Kes and Jadzia looked best in their one pieces.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that's a bad thing? :confused: She is slim and nicely built and the tight uniform made her look wonderfully curvy. I don't know if it's because of the clothes or if she's lost weight in the meantime or what, but Nana Visitor looked a bit too thin on Wildfire.

9. You_Guyz

You_Guyz Commander

Kira had a fat ass.

10. DevilEyes

Kira had a great ass. :)

I find flat shoes extremely uncomfortable, they make me feel like I am going to fall backwards any moment. Even sneakers have to have soles of at least a couple of centimeters. Generally I prefer wearing shoes with heels from 4 cm to 7-9 cm. Heels higher than 10 cm are too tiring and painful.

11. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Oops. Double post.

12. SFRabid

I wonder if the guy in this picture considers a catsuit to be revealing?

13. SFRabid

What I really don't understand is women in Voyager climbing ladders and crawling through Jeffery's tubes in heels.

14. NickInABox

NickInABox Captain Captain

A great ass, but a fat one.

15. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else love the catsuits?

No, they should wear either a uniform or equivalently appropriate attire. If anyone- even a civilian support person- showed up to work in a military environment like that they would be sent home and a negative evaluation placed in their permanent record.

The civilian equivalent situation: if someone showed up to your office to work in a bikini, how well do you think it would reflect upon them?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  16. DevilEyes

No, that would be Christina Hendricks: great curvy figure of the plump variety. Or Jennifer Lopez in the "Hugh Jess" department. Visitor was nowhere near fat or plump. Unless one has anorexic women as the standard.

17. SFRabid

I thought Seven of Nine had the biggest bottom on Trek.

18. You_Guyz

You_Guyz Commander

Well Star Trek isn't the military of now is it?
    Starfleet clearly approves of them!

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I am sorry, I thought you knew it was only a television show and producers chose the costumes. :vulcan:

20. abaldwin360

abaldwin360 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I liked them just fine... espcially on T'Pol...