Karate Kid remake - production photos released.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captain Craig, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    The fact most people go "Will Smith's son" like you did. It's not enough to just be the 'son of' and get butts in seats. Jackie Chan is a recognized name for sure but it doesn't mean his ability to get tickets sold is that great. His films aren't sold on his name alone. Look how many "buddy films" he has to do. When is the last 'starring Jackie Chan' film that lit the box office on fire?

More people will likely see Karate Kid with Chan than a Kung Fu Kid with Chan based on some recoginition of what they can expect with the known quantity of Karate Kid.
    Before you say it I know that Kung-Fu kid should give the same conotation to people but frankly the longer I'm around the more I realize the mass public doesn't connect those dots as easy as we do.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Here's the trailer...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8N69wwZZkc[/yt]

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like it goes through a lot of the same paces as the original, except for a much younger age group. Though going to China to learn about karate would be like remaking The Last Samuri and setting it in Iran.

4. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Why aren't you sick of Broadway coming out with constant revivals (that's what I consider most of these movies to be also) of every old musical under the fracking sun? I've seen the same amount on Broadway and in the theater districts of Toronto (a recent version of Fiddler On The Roof with Harvey Fierstein as Tevye comes to mind.) Why do we need to see another revival of Hair or Godspell? Why another version of Oklahoma with Hugh Jackman in it? Why a recent revival of The Threepenny Opera with a black Canadian actress as Pirate Jenny? Just because they can make one with a person of color? (the same also applies to the revival of Man Of La Mancha with Brian Stokes Mitchell as Cervantes/Quixote, and a TV production for KBS in Korean.) Why not some new musicals, like what Disney did with High School Musical I & High School Musical II & III (which now has many teens wanting to be Broadway triple threats)? Or like Joss Whedon's neo-classics Once More With Feeling or Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long?

Same with most Broadway musicals; I'll bet you that there's a remake/revival of Miss Saigon in the offing right now at the offices of some production company, along with a revival of The Rocky Horror Show to come later...

To you Avatar's story is overdone; actually, it's a timeless classic tale that has meaning now in the real world with what's happening in Indonesia to the Penan people and the Sarawak rainforests; the character of Jake Sully can be considered a version of the real life activist Bruno Manser who fought for the Penan people much like Jake does for the Na'vi in the movie.

A box office dud is a box office dud-there's no way in hell a corporation will finance a remake of a movie that failed (although I wouldn't mind seeing a film version of the 1998 version of Lost In Space with an all-black cast and a better script-I like it, though.) All that we'll get is the recent version of Battlestar Galactica, it seems.

To paraphrase an old quote, 'There is nothing new under the sun'. And most revivals (film & theater) usually do happen in that time space; most of the time, it's 20 or 30 years (the length of time it took to make remakes in the past-Lost Horizon & The Wages Of Fear come to mind.) Just as you don't mind all of those Broadway revivals, you shouldn't be risking a heat attack over these Hollywood remakes: they will stand or fall due to their own merits or demerits.

All he has to act like is as a boy-which he is-and the rest will come easy.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

DeMille made "The Ten Commandments" twice.

6. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

http://www.darkhorizons.com/ The teaser is out! Click on the link to the right of the page. My god, it looks horrible. The only good thing that might come of this is a release of the originals on Blu Ray. Did we really need a Star Wars reference in this? The original came out a year after Jedi was released, and didn't rely on pop culture references. So they went from Wax on, Wax off to Jacket on, to Jacket off? So many jokes...must...resist...urge....

7. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

I've gotta say that from the trailer it doesn't look that bad, didn't like the music in the background but then that's not my cupt o' tea.
    It does seem a bit odd to be going to china to do this but then it will set it apart from the first movie and make it at least a little bit different.
    I didn't mind the jacket on, jacket off thing. It's no different from wax on wax off in terms of cheese and seems to become apparant much earlier on so we don't get such a long drawn out 'this guys and idiot and doesn't know what he's doing' bit.

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DeMille made many films twice. One even three times, IIRC (The Squaw Man or whatever, I'd have to look it up.)

Hitchcock remade The Man Who Knew Too Much. And so on and so forth.

Again, aren't you a fan of comic book movies? :vulcan: That's pretty much the same deal, only not with movies. I cannot wrap my head around someone being so fundamentally opposed to unoriginality in Hollywood but wanting Batman, Iron Man, Plastic Man, etc. films.

I honestly do not understand the logic of this. Even if you'd argue these stories are worthwhile to add to the screen, it can't be asserted that such movies are original in the same way you accuse Avatar of being unoriginal (Iron Man is basically note-for-note every other comic book movie of the past decade, plus a little Bond.)

So, what do you want? Really now?
    ...is a completely different kettle of fish.

It's an original film in the sense it has no previous brand identity, like all those remakes do. You know, in the way Battlestar Galactica is the opposite of Avatar, it uses brand name value to make something very different from the previous show and carve out its own particular niche of sci-fi TV.

On topic:
    I dimly remember the Karate Kid, but not enough to want to watch this.

9. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

It seems like the studio execs thought we wouldn't notice the anomaly of a movie called The Karate Kid set in China. The just said, 'Screw it! Call it the Karate Kid, and it'll make money!' It might've had a chance when they were going to call it 'The Kung Fu Kid', but by changing the name, millions of people like me are going to not see it, if they haven't already made that decision before the title change. What would've made sense, is having Ralph Machio be the teacher of a troubled kid, making a sequel to Karate Kid III. The movie could've opened with the death of Mr. Myagi, leaving Daniel taking care of his final wishes. It could've been a great tribute to the series, but it turned into 'Daddy, I want a starring role!' situation.

So the day this movie comes out, I'm staying home, and watching the original.

10. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

There you go. And MGM made Rose Mariethree times as a showcase for different singers/actors. Not to mention the three versions of Night Must Fall, or the second version of Cat People (I'd love to see a third version where the cat thing is actually a super solider whose killing instinct is triggered by the sexual act) or the two other versions of King Kong.

How do you know that Jaden bugged his daddy to get him the part in this movie?:rolleyes:

It's possible that he auditioned for it, or was recommended.:vulcan:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Kung-Fu Kid would be better.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

People need to make peace with the idea that everything will be remade eventually, it makes things much easier. Any movie over 25 years old is going to be especially ripe for consideration, I mean that's a "golden oldie" now.

Doesn't mean you have to endorse the film, heck, I'm still on the fence about going back to Kirk and Spock but rallying against remakes on principle alone seems futile. Just don't go see those films.

This one seems to be taking a different path than the original one did, a lot more with the Asian culture from the looks of it. It looks like Jackie is finally settling into getting older and taking more appropriate roles, some of his later films were really streching things.

I think that title has a good ring to it too but I guess that name recognition thing is too much.

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

It would have been cool to get Hilary Swank in the movie.

I liked her in The Next Karate Kid.

14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't get why this isn't set in Japan. It makes no sense.

Hell, cast Jackie Chan as a Japanese person... it's not like most people can tell the difference anyway. :p

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Meh.

I'll probably watch it eventually once it's on the movie channels and I haven't anything better to do.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, I'll go see a remake of Short Circuit - the original wasn't all that good, but the premise is entertaining.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

The little "girl" friend in the bottom picture looks like she could take on this keep and sweep the floor with him.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The trailer was ok but Jaden Smith looks too young and small for the part IMO. Also was Jackie Chan fighting Children in one scene :wtf:

19. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    This looks pretty interesting.

I noticed Rongguang Yu, an actor who shows up at lot in Hong Kong flicks, in a clip...

I'm still wondering why it will go on to be called 'The Karate Kid' if they are in Beijing, but I'm still open to how everything will eventually turn out...

20. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

We were supposed to get a sequel, with the originals as adults watching over their kids getting involved in a new adventure, but that never came off.:vulcan: