CHILI!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

We're settling into fall/autumn now which means chili weather!

I love chili, I love making chili. I love putting cheese on my chili, I love eating chili with buttered saltines.

Mmmm. Mmmm!

Chili!

2. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I had Chili last night matter of fact

Looks like we got some chilly weather coming next week

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I like my chili with oyster crackers.

I need to get a good chili recipe. I kind of made one up a while back. It's okay, but not great.

4. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

If anyone has any good recipes post em here, I wanna give it a shot at making some, I don't know any recipes

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Trekker's got a recipe. He's a chili maniac.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would love a recipe for a beef chili as well as a white chicken chili.

Mmm...we used to have this awesome chicken chili when I worked at Fridays...I want some.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I make chili in our crock pot, which works out incredibly well. I also use a homemade chili powder -- none of that pre-packaged horseshit.

I start off with some dried chili peppers. Anchos are my favorite, but whatever you can get in the local Latin market or the ethnic section of your grocery will work. I prep the peppers, gut them, etc., and then chop them up. Start heating up a skillet (cast iron or go home) and chuck whole cumin seeds into that. Add the chilis, and toast them off at low heat until they become fragrant. Once ready, toss that into a blender along with garlic and onion powder (a few teaspoons of each) and dried oregano and basil. Blend until it's a fine powder. You have some mighty fine shit in there.

Brown a pound of ground beef (kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper are essential) and drain. You can also sweat some diced onion if you prefer. Throw that in the crock pot with a tablespoon (or a little more) of the chili powder you just made, a few shakes' worth of Worcestershire sauce, a bit of cayenne pepper, some hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot) if you prefer, some salt and pepper, a can of diced tomatoes (or you can dice one yourself, but I'm generally lazy) and two cans of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce. Stir it all and get it nicely mixed up. Set on low heat and walk away for the next six hours or so. Come back, add hot sauce to taste (if you so prefer), and dish up with oyster crackers and some fresh shredded cheddar cheese.

Enjoy.

8. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Red or Green?

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My brother is a culinary arts student, and he introduced me to wonder of dried peppers. I bought a coffee grinder, and now I feel like I can season anything!

10. Timby

I already said I prefer ancho peppers. Anchos are simply dried poblano peppers (which are green).

For quantity reference, when we had chili this past weekend, I used four anchos and five others of various sizes.

11. Sephiroth

I wasn't asking you in particular (and I perfer Hatch green chillies, btw) but the whole thread

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had two bowls of Runza chili tonight. :drool:

13. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

My wife makes an incredible white chicken chili - I'll see if I can dig it out...

14. Timby

You are aware that, according to their own dietary information, two bowls of Runza's chili contain enough sodium to kill anything that's ever lived, yes?

15. Supreme Admiral

Supreme Admiral Captain

Care to share? I'd like to have that recipe, so I can cook it off for dinner!

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoy it in moderation.

17. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

When I'm in New Mexico I always opt for the green since it's damn near impossible to get anywhere else. Now I need a green chile cheesburger! :drool:

18. Sephiroth

I can send you Green Chillie

19. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

This is so funny - I've been craving it lately and I just made it tonight, before reading this thread. :eek: I also made cornbread to go with it. I love cornbread with honey alongside it.

Not the best batch I've ever made, but it did satisfy that craving!

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've competed with my chili. Here's the recipe I made last night:

2 Tablespoons of Canola Oil (or vegetable oil, peanut oil, or any other oil. Wouldn't recommend olive oil.)
    1.5 Teaspoons of Cumin Seed (seeds, not ground cumin)
    1 Teaspoon of Paprika
    1/2 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
    1/2 Teaspoon of Oregano
    Kosher Salt (NOT iodized table salt!)
    Black Pepper (freshly ground if possible)
    3 small cans of tomato sauce
    3 tomatoes - minced (just the regular-sized tomatoes)
    1 medium white onion - minced (yellow in pinch, red and vadalia not recommended)
    2 jalapeno peppers - minced, seeded and de-veined (see below for notes on peppers/chillies)
    1 red bell-pepper - minced, seeded and de-veined (green or yellow bells peppers can work too.)
    2 lbs of meat (I used finely diced chuck steak and pork steak. You can use ground meats, or whatever combination of meat you want.)
    1 can of chili beans in chili sauce.

Put the oil in a skillet (preferably one that is not non-stick) and heat for a minute or two until hot and then put in the cumin seed. The hot oil will cook the seeds and cause them to release a lot of flavor and oils. When you heavily smell the cumin throw in the minced veggies with a heavy pinch of salt and a heavy dose of pepper and saute them until they are good and mushy, stirring occasionally - they will release a lot of juices.

While the veggies are cooking, in a large pot on a separate burner on medium-low heat. Heat the tomato sauce, beans, and seasonings along with another light pinch of salt and pepper.

When the veggies are cooked add them to the pot, stir.

In the now empty skillet add another light tablespoon of oil -maybe only half a tablespoon, just enough to make the pan slightly slick- and start browning your meat -again, seasoning it with another light pinch of salt and pepper. When the meat is good and browned -but not necessarily thoroughly cooked- drain off the grease and add it to the pot.

Stir the pot, mixing the ingredients well, and get it to a simmer. Cover the pot and let this simmer for at least an hour, better yet you can put this in a Crockpot on low for several hours. The longer it cooks the more the flavors will meld and the more tender the meat will become if you used diced steaks/chops/roasts.

If needed, you can add more tomato sauce if you want your chili "soupier", you can substitute the jalapeno peppers for hotter ones if you like a hotter chili, adjusting the numbers if needed -you may be surprised how hot one habenero pepper can make things- leaving the veins in the chilies can make them hotter, as well as leaving the seeds in. Adding in finely diced dried chilies too can do a lot for flavors, they'll rehydrate in the sauce as it cooks.

You may need to add more seasonings to taste, I sort-of guessed on my amounts as I'm not usually one to measure seasonings when cooking I just put in what feels good, cook it for a moment, take a taste, and then add more if I think it's needed. Adding another pinch of cumin, or even ground cumin, can go a long way to brining out more of a "chili flavor."

Letting this sit overnight in the fridge, too, brings the flavors together, and out, more.

And yes, I don't have "chili powder" on my ingredients list. I don't use it. I get the "chili powder" flavor through the use of cumin, veggies, and other seasonings. Chili powder, often, is nothing more than dried chilies, salt, oregano, cumin, and other seasonings anyway. All of which I just simply add separately.