The Design of the U.S.S. Relativity

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by JoeRalat, Nov 2, 2007.

1. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hello Everyone. I was collecting some production information on the Federation ship’s seen on voyager, but I could not find any on the U.S.S. Relativity. I am guessing that it was design by Rick Sternbach. I am not sure what kind of information I’m looking for.

What was the inspiration for the Relativity? The ship is so different from other starship designs. Has anyone seen any early sketches on the ship? What was called for in the script? Any info on the how many decks..size..? I saw in the episode that a cutaway was made of it, but could not see any details. What was the inspiration for the interior (The bridge and graphics)? That’s just a few questions. :D

Thanks

2. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The inspiration for the ship was a blended arrowhead sort of shape with a lot of roller coaster curves, upon which were drawn most of the little details that were familiar to older Starfleet ships. Those details were evolved, but one could still see what they were for. The Bussard collector caps were turned and stretched, but they're there. Same with the phaser strips, lifeboats, etc.

Rick
    www.spacemodelsystems.com

3. David Schmidt

David Schmidt Lieutenant Red Shirt

Plus, I think the designer looked at the SR-71 a lot.

4. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the ship looked kind of like a mutated manta to me. Which I suppose makes it more time-o-dynamic or something. A non-timeship from the era might look more like the ENT-J from ENT. Assuming that the federation has non-timeships at that point.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I really liked the Wells-class a lot. It has a very organic look that I think is a nice progression from early modular starships (rather than warp nacelles, it seems to have warp fins).
    :cool:

6. Rick Sternbach

Nope, although I do know the SR-71 pretty well. I try to work with bits and pieces of cool designs, but not mimic the entire shape. Too many designers do that already.

Rick

7. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry for the late reply, but Thank You Mr. Sternbach for the information. Did the Relativity have a shuttlebay. If she did have a shuttlebay, would the "Aeon" type ship be its shuttle?

Again Thanks for the information.

8. Rick Sternbach

Oh, there are probably some panels that could iris open or somesuch, but since we never saw a bay in action, I didn't spend much time actually pegging it. I would imagine that the Aeon would be one kind of deployed craft from the big ship, yeah.

Rick

9. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rick, where you in any way inspired by the "Paradigm" type Capital ships from the game "Wing Commander: Privateer"?

That's what the ship most reminded me of.

10. Rick Sternbach

Nope, don't know that one.

Rick

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I totally love the Relativity. It is one of my favorite Starfleet designs that has ever appeared in Trek. :bolian:

Its bridge is a little odd - why is there just a tiny viewscreen off to port? (That big one in the center was just a computer display. Not an actual viewer.) Why is the captain's chair way off in the corner like that? But in general it is an AWESOME ship.

Side note:
    I think Captain Braxton is Future Guy.

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always thought that, too!

13. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Beautiful design.

Looks far more robust than traditional Starfleet vessels with their engines stuck out on fragile looking pylons.