E-E & DS9

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, May 13, 2007.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

What he was so mad about was Berman had every intention of DESTROYING the Defiant in Earth orbit as they beamed Worf off the ship. He said in an interview that Berman essentially said "If I want to destroy it I will."

He answered with, "And I'll put it in the next episode anyway to screw with your movie."

In the end Behr won, and even expressly put that Defiant was adrift but repairable.

2. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Getting a 'mention' and writing in the Dominion War in a real way is hardly the same.

Which was exactly my point.

And yes...I am well aware of the token 'mention'. I HAVE seen Insurrection. ;)

But the OP was lamenting the lack of TNG ship and cast on DS9. And my POINT was that if it was so important to see the Enterprise as participating in the Dominion War, they should have shown their DETAILED participation in a TNG film - NOT on DS9.

Oh wait! They didn't want to waste any precious TNG film screentime on DS9 themes???

Yeah.

Well.

Back at ya, TNG. :p

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

May not be the Enterprise, but here is the Sovereign at DS9 from DS9fx for Bridge Commander

[​IMG]

4. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are actually several very plausible reasons why the Enterprise would not appear at DS9. First, there were many fleets out there. Second, Picard could have been more useful on the diplomatic side. Third, while this might not be sound in a tactical sense, your best ships are usually not assigned to the most dangerous missions. Their loss could be a major hit to morale. In a lot of cases, they're saved for homeland defense.

In my opinion, the only time the Enterprise-E could have even been mentioned was during the Breen attack on earth.

5. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After the Enterprise's crew lost the flagship of the Federation to an antiquated scoutship, I figure Starfleet simply didn't want them going anywhere near a combat situation. That's why they were sent to do a job that could be handled by an unmanned sensor array when the Borg were smashing their way toward Earth, and that's why they were coddling insignificant ambassadors while the Dominion war raged across the Quadrant.

During the invasion of Cardassia, they were probably patrolling for freighters flying Warp 6 in a Warp 5 speed zone, or something equally useless.

6. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have been relatively simple to have a nod to the Enterprise in the background comm-chatter during one of the final battle sequences, you could maybe even use a very short audio clip of Picard or Riker acknowledging a command to add authenticity. Throw in a mention of both Galaxy and Sovereign battle wings and that's how I'd do it, it's subtle and doesn't take away from the DS9 cast or story. It's almost like naming one of the ships on the display in Nemesis the USS Archer, just a wink to people who care and are paying attention, which is the way these things should always be handled IMO.
    -FordSVT-

7. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Having the E-E on the show doesn't mean it would likewise also have to drag the TNG crew on the show with it.

I say yes E-E should have been on DS9, no the TNG crew should not have. :D

What they should have done was had Admiral Ross commandeer the ship and command it himself with a crew of his own choosing. Or commandeer it and then give it to the Sisko to command.

Or simply build another E-E and use that.

8. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

But in that case you might as well, because you're going to have to waste time coming up with a plausable explantion as to why the regular bridge crew is not around, almost makes it worse because at that point they become a glaring ommission. If all you want to see is a Sovereign class ship kicking ass, they could have simply put the USS Sovereign or another ship of the line in the show and left it at that.
    -FordSVT-

9. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

No thanks.

10. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, it would have been great to see the Enterprise, or at least a Sovereign class ship in the final battle.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They couldn't, the Movie Studio guys wanted the Sovereign to be Movie exclusive, just like the Movie Constitution.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. I think that's mentioned somewhere up above but incase anyone doesn't know here's the explanation.

In Star Trek there has been an arrangement between Paramount and the Producers that they are not to use movie ships in televised trek to help avoid confusion. For DS9 that also moved into effect and included Star Trek Voyager. This was done to avoid confusion and stop people from automatically assuming that the Enterprise was there.

The Voyager ban was temporarily lifted for Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges (I think that was the right spelling) for use for the Starship Bellerophon. That was why they didn't have Intrepid, Sovereigns, and Constitution Class ships in final battles and on different series.

Even though the TNG cast was heading to the big screen for Generations the ban was moved to include the Galaxy Class. They got around this with the destruction of the E-D. Coincidentally they were given a free pass for the Episode The Jem'Hadar so they could show just how strong the Dominion was. They had three ships the equivalent of fightercraft take out a Federation Flagship Classed starship.

13. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but it would have been fun.

14. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol: :lol:

So true! The loss of the D in GEN was just embarassing. Kinda sad when the fans know how to win the battle and the characters don't.

15. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Re: E-E & DS9

Totally agree

16. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now that's an epic thread bump.

17. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't have minded seeing another Sovereign out there but not necessarily the Enterprise-E. I would have loved to see them blow one up in an episode.

Given that we had a very limited view of the Dominion War just because the Enterprise-E wasn't at DS9, which for the most part wasn't a hot spot, doesn't really tell us anything about its service during the war.

18. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

I couldn't care less about who owns what or confusion of casual fans or any crap like that. It's one big Star Trek universe and we should have seen Sovereign-class and Intrepid-class ships in the Dominion war. Like the Defiant-class, these are cutting-edge vessels that logically should have been there. I know both types were relatively new so it wouldn't be expected to see as many of them as Excelsior-class and Miranda-class ships but there should have been some.

19. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

Wow, I just noticed the date of the post prior to today - my birthday two years ago. This thread wasn't resurrected - it had to take a wish spell at least.

20. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Here's how they should have done it:

The DS9 episode begins and someone mentions that Worf temporarily left to join his Enterprise friends on a wacky adventure. Later in the episode a giant DS9-style space battle brakes out near the station. The E-E shows up to help and takes on serious damage.

All the E-E crew members are beamed aboard the station. Worf returns to Ops.

Worf: "The Enterprise?"
    Sisko: "Adrift but salvageable"