In Search of the Galileo...MYSTERY SOLVED!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Captain Robert April, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    The exterior would fit... but the interior might not.

2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rim shot.

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Most of us TOS fans acknowledge and appreciate Mr. Miarecki's skill and craftsmanship in giving the venerable 11-foot Enterprise the careful and comprehensive restoration it desperately needed. What we don't appreciate is the godawful, overdone "weathering" and gridlines he applied to the old girl. The model never looked like that, on-camera or off.

And, until there's further evidence that this Lyndie person is in possession of the Galileo, like current photos or video, I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. (Is it a he or a she?)

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

As Dennis and I have discussed, Ed saved the Enterprise when she was in really sad state, but the budget wasn't there to do an actual museum-quality restoration. So, hats off to Ed for doing the work he could. I disagree with him choices for the paintjob and some of the smaller decals (and Richard Datin basically confirmed that it's not right when I emailed him in the 90s), but that's surface and something that could be corrected at a later date.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lyndie is apparently a she.
    There's enough to discussion in the HT thread by people who seem to know her and have worked with her to remove any doubt that she owns the prop.

6. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Now if we can just keep the Galileo from winding up in Dubai or Tokyo.

God, I'm feeling like Indiana Jones at the beginning of Last Crusade.

"It belongs in a museum!"

"So do you, Dr. Jones!"

7. Lynne Miller

Lynne Miller Cadet Newbie

I AM APPARENTLY A SHE

That is a good thing to know as I would hate to have to sell my dresses. ;) Hi it is me Lynne.

Yes, I linked over to an old video made by a local Star Trek club. The first part of that video me and a friend shot when we moved the shuttle from Palm Springs CA to Akron OH. I am the woman in the picture at the beginning. I really was not prepared to have to defend myself from skeptics, but I should have known better lol.

I have posted some photos I took last night and this morning of the shuttle parts that I took with my cell phone as some people do not believe anything unless you show them. Must be from Missouri.
    Here: http://www.hobbytalk.com/ in photos miscellaneous.

I met Ed M. twice, once in Baltimore and once when he flew out to Akron to see the shuttle. Something about a dispute over the actual colors of the shuttle. He took paint samples. He is a really nice guy. And he was bold enough to get the Smithsonian to allow him to restore the Enterprise. That took some guts. I think anyone who undertakes this sort of thing will be criticized on something. I know I have been.

The reason I bought the Galileo 7, and this is not written anywhere out here that I know of, is that a nearby Trek Club (not the Lagrange) was setting up tables at conventions and taking donations from the fans to restore the Galileo. They were claiming that they had bought it. When I contacted the owner Steve H., out in California, and told him what was going on he laughed and said "that guy doesn't have two nickels to rub together". And, he told me this Admiral fellow, who will remain nameless, had contacted him and was trying to buy it, but after a few months it became apparent that was not going to happen.

I found this very interesting, as I think you would have. Just out of curiosity I asked him how much he wanted for it. He said $3,000. Now, I am not usually insane, but the Trekkie deep inside me screamed buy it! So, in a totally insane moment I bought it. Would you have?

Now after all these years of struggling to restore it, dealing with unscrupulous people, storing it, moving it and paying an ungodly amount of money, there are days I really regret that impulse. Actually, there are years that I really regret that. But, I thought I was keeping it out of the hands of some really goofy and dishonest fans. I started out with noble intentions.

I find the Hunt for the Galileo extremely interesting. If you lived in the same place 53 years and people you knew who had your address couldn't "find" you what would you make of it?

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

9. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lynne, forget about the "idiots" and "nutcakes" over the years, this Trek fan is just glad that it exists and has been saved all of this time by someone like you who knows and cares what it is. The worst case scenario was that it had been completely scrapped, so to hear that it exists at all is a relief to me.
    Hopefully all ends well and someone has the time and money to restore it to its former glory. To see a piece of Trek history come to life again would be a joy for us all. :)

10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey Lynne! Thank you for taking a risk and salvaging this old girl. Thank you for doing your best working with scoundrels and liars to get her back into shape. I hope you get a proper return on your investment and the prop winds up somewhere fully restored where fans can see it. If I had the money, I'd cut you a check and take it over myself, but if wishes were shuttlecraft, beggars like me would fly.

11. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

I have contacted Lynn, as well as my friend Doug Drexler, who is very interested in working on restoring the old girl. We have the money, plan on setting up a non-profit foundation, have professionals like Doug and Mike Okuda restore her, and then display her around the country, so every fan can get a chance to see her. I have been emailing with Lynn, as has Doug, and Steve Thomas, who did the great articles on my blog here.

Hopefully we can work out the details with Lynn's attorney and get this project moving.

Alec

Alec Peters
    startrekprops.com

Propworx

12. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

^^This is great news! Will be looking forward to see the Galileo restored, she deserves nothing less!

13. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm buying a lottery ticket tomorrow!

14. Lynne Miller

Lynne Miller Cadet Newbie

Thank you

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate that some seem to understand the travails I have experienced through the years, and maybe some of the emotions.

My hope is that the Galileo 7 is restored in a professional manner and is displayed. It is to that purpose that I have held onto it all these years. I also hope that I live happily ever after.

15. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope that this is true. From what I understand she was destroyed when the yard she was in while being restored was bulldozed. Last I heard she was lost. Again, I hope this is true.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good news all around. Thanks for taking care of her with such commitment, Lynne.

17. Captain Robert April

Any ideas for a semi-permanent home for when the Galileo is not touring the country? Or where the restoration itself will take place?

'Cause I know this place...

18. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hear, hear! Why don't you set up an online contribution website? You wrote that you have funds for the restoration, etc., but the more the merrier! I'd be happy to contribute $25 or so. If every member of this BBS contributed $10 or so, it would help a lot, wouldn't it?

Doug

19. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

Captain Robert April:

Well, we are open. I know you are pushing your local museum and we would love to consider it! Enthusiasm is a key ingredient in a project like this.

Doug: We will set up a contribution website once we can get a deal done with Lynn. One step at a time! But thanks for the offer! We will definitely need it.

Alec

20. Captain Robert April

One of the key missions of the Wings Over The Rockies museum is restoration, so it'd fit right in.

Just need a video camera and I'd love to play Mike Rowe for this particular dirty job. :D