New, 14-disc Ron Jones TNG soundtrack box set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by doubleohfive, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

"Human Factor" is a strong track and there are several throughout the entire set. The episode that took me by surprise, however, was Who Watches The Watchers. A really excellent score, from the first to the last track. One you can listen to even if you've never seen the episode.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just listened to the "Menage a Troi" score, and I was surprised that they didn't include the Algolian chimes source music from the opening reception scene. I mean, the set is generally so conscientious about including source cues, even ones that weren't actually used in the finished episodes. And this particular cue (or rather, its rhythm) was actually a crucial plot point.

3. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a good observation, I totally forgot about that source music in this episode! Lukas Kendall is an ardent fan of the show and really knows his stuff, so I can't imagine he overlooked this, but perhaps the tapes with this cue could not be located?

4. Christopher

Well, I've finally made it to the end of the set. I just finished listening to Disc 14, containing the music Jones wrote for the Starfleet Academy and Starfleet Command games, none of which I'd ever heard before. It's not bad, though the restrictions of the format limit it somewhat. Overall I think I found the SC score more interesting. It was very repetitively structured -- a "Menu Screen," "Mission Start," "Faster," "Mission Failure," and "Mission Success" for each of Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Gorn, "Lyran," and "Hydran," about 5 minutes of music for each race. The pacing would've been better if each set of five cues had been on a single track, with shorter gaps between them, so that each one could be treated as a suite of variations on its theme, a sort of mini-symphony. But it was interesting to hear the different leitmotifs Jones established for each of them. The UFP and Klingon themes were basically Goldsmith pastiches filtered through Jones's style; in particular, aside from the melody, his Klingon material sounded a lot like his TNG Klingon music. His Romulan motif was very different and John-Williamsy. And the leitmotifs for the other races were intriguing, reminding me of '60s TV music (including Williams's music for Irwin Allen shows). He gave the Gorn a ponderous theme that sounded like something out of a '50s or '60s dinosaur movie, while the felinoid Lyrans' theme has a "jungle drums" quality, and the exotic, tripedal Hydrans have a more ethereal, flowing, weird sound to their theme. Nice work.

But sticking in all the really brief tags and transitions from the games as bonus tracks at the end is kind of an anticlimactic way to conclude the set. It kinda makes it go out with a whimper rather than a bang.

Now I just need to figure out where to keep the big sheaf of liner notes I printed out. I don't have a place for them on my CD shelf, and they'd kind of get lost in the clutter of my Trek shelves.

5. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

The main discs (the episode scores and not the bonus disc or video game music) are now available for sale online at iTunes and Amazon! Disc 11 isn't on Amazon yet. I'll update the link when it is available.

Disc 1: The Naked Now / Where No One Has Gone Before / Lonely Among Us
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 2: The Battle / Datalore / 11001001
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 3: When the Bough Breaks / Heart of Glory
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 4: Skin of Evil / We'll Always Have Paris / The Neutral Zone
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 5: Where Silence Has Lease / The Outrageous Okona / Loud as a Whisper
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 6: A Matter of Honor / The Royale / The Icarus Factor / Q Who
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 7: Up the Long Ladder / The Emissary / Shades of Gray
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 8: Evolution / Who Watches the Watchers / Booby Trap / The Price
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 9: The Defector / The High Ground / A Matter of Perspective / The Offspring
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 10: The Offspring / Menage a Troi / Brothers
    iTunes
    Amazon

Disc 11: Reunion / Final Mission / Data's Day / Devil's Due
    iTunes

Disc 12: First Contact / Night Terrors / The Nth Degree / The Drumhead / The Best of Both Worlds
    iTunes
    Amazon

6. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Disc 11 is on Amazon.co.uk, along with the rest for £6.99 per disc, which is a quid cheaper than iTunes.

7. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy crap! This is awesome! I'd love to get the liner notes as a PDF, but bookmarking the site will do. I don't print things out anymore unless I really have to. This stuff is fascinating, and the music is a lot of fun to revisit.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping these will end up on Spotify some time, as I can't really afford it at the moment. Best of Both Worlds and the other Star Trek soundtracks are on there.

9. Indysolo

Volume 11 is on Amazon now, too.

They're $9 an album there and now you can also take advantage of Amazon's new cloud player service.

Neil

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

I bought this set last November, and I've been listening to it again and again while reading Trek books. The music is absolutely wonderful (I've loved Ron Jones's work ever since DuckTales), and the set is truly a labour of love. I believe that sales were hurt by the fact that it leaked online only a few days after it was originally released, which is really a shame. Anybody who's on the fence about this set or even remotely interested in Star Trek scores should go ahead and purchase a copy.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Ensign Red Shirt

Re: New, 14-disc

I was surprised, but pleased, to find this on itunes yesterday. Think I'm going to do some serious cherry-picking of tracks.

I had given serious thought to getting the boxset when it first came out but wasn't sure about enough of the tracks to justify the price. Being able to get tracks 1 by 1 is far more appealing.

12. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Congrats on finding this set! It really is a winner and full of such great music from the show. Make sure you get a good sampling from each season that Jones contributed to.

13. Indysolo

Links to all of the albums on iTunes (five posts above yours!) :)

Neil

14. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

TNG theme on solo instruments?

Just wondering for those who have purchased the set which are the disc & track#s (and song titles if you can) of the best variations on the TNG theme song within the music such as ballads or using interesting instruments playing the TNG theme solo?

Since they are available on iTunes/Amazon perhaps I can purchase only the songs that are very interesting to me?

15. Christopher

Re: TNG theme on solo instruments?

I assume that by "TNG theme" you mean the Jerry Goldsmith Star Trek: The Motion Picture theme. I don't think they have any ballad or solo arrangements of the Goldsmith theme, but the liner notes on the FSM site list all the tracks on the right side of the page (on the pages for the specific discs), and those cues containing the TMP theme are marked with a dagger symbol (†).

16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Without having access to the set, I have to say that the early season 1 episodes showcase the Goldsmith theme more than the rest. There is a cue in 11001001 that features an exceptionally beautiful rendition of the theme.

17. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'11001001' and 'Where No One Has Gone Before' both have some excellent cues that adapt the Goldsmith theme.

18. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: TNG theme on solo instruments?

thanks. Where No One Has Gone Before
    has a nice slow tempo brass of the TNG theme.

track 18 as well as
    20. Where No One Has Gone Before: Ensign Wesley

and on
    33. Back in Order† M53
    very lush cinematic sounding slower tempo,