Roddenberry Prods. docu. series from 500 hours of BTSover 20 years

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by jefferiestubes8, May 27, 2009.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Roddenberry Treks behind the scenes
    Creator's son to host DVD set of unseen footage
    May 19, 2009
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118003974.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=roddenberry

ChristopherPike first mentioned it that it was on Trekmovie this month.

While this material will surely be in standard defintion 4:3 video I will figure that Toolbox Productions will do additional new retrospective interviews in High Definition as well as "Rod" Roddenberry's hosting.
    It is highly doubtful that they will gain access to Paramount's original camera negative from 1987-2004 to telecine to HD any of the canon shows to actually show old footage in HD. The only exception being Enterprise 2001-2005 outtakes which were telecined in HD for editing.
    This shows that the original camera negative is in storage though from the TNG series (and most likely DS9 & VOY).
    It is highly doubtful there were high definition video cameras on a Star Trek set before 2001 shooting behind the scenes footage an nobody shoots 16mm as behind-the-scenes footage since the mid-1980s.
    It is possible they had shot some 16mm interviews with Roddenberry that they plan on transferring to HD though. I mentioned the idea of 16mm interviews from 1960s with Gene Roddenberry I'd love to see. It's also possible that in granting interviews with people like BBC that Roddenberry was able to use it after so many years such as these 3 projects.
    It will probably be a 4-6 hour documentary series or else a 2-hour documentary for each series TNG, DS9, VOYAGER, ENTERPRISE totalling 8 hours.
    It mentions DVD so it is obviously a direct-to-video Blu-ray/DVD release.
    Hell they know they could make it a 12-hour series and fans would buy it and not be bored.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I'm flattered, I'm sure it must have already been picked up by as a TrekToday news item. It's more than ten headlines back that's all. The DS9 crowd have also got very excited about it in this thread.

From the perspective of somebody who's dabbled with fan-edits and tribute videos, that's a mind boggling amount of material. How much of it could be genuine cut or alternate scenes I wonder. I'd be half tempted to construct a narrative around so much unseen footage. Something more epic given it crisscrosses TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, than a clip-show like Shades of Gray. Remember Star Trek's only one done during the second season of TNG?

I'm very excited about this project as a documentary nevertheless and Rod Roddenberry being given the reins of an official Star Trek production.

3. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I would think you'd want to put a narrative around that footage. It just sounds too unwieldy otherwise.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More a fictional narrative, than a factual one. Hence the clipshow comparison and final sentence. I was more focusing on deleted character moments. But of course, a majority of behind-the-scenes footage means a detailed "making of" look, which as I say is equally good.

5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Well, as much footage as there is, I would try to construct a basic narrative to sort of run through the major points of interest. Sort of a two or even three, four hour trailer, if you will. And then I would just have the rest of the footage available as a supplement.

I don't know. I could be reading this whole thing wrong and be completely off base.

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I gotta wonder about the legality of this. Behind the scenes footage is one thing, but there is still tromping into copyright territory if you're showing too much of some intellectual property you don't own.

7. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

'Trek Nation' trailer

[Running time :2:30]

http://trekmovie.com/2010/04/06/rod...n-documentary-finished-watch-the-new-trailer/

Trailer looks good. It's one-type of documentary. It touches on a lot of things. Looks like they are saving the special '500 Hours of previously unseen video footage' for the film itself and not in the trailer...

I think they are talking more about how the show started and it's impact on the world. Similar to the 2 hour documentary: How William Shatner Changed the World (2005).

This will sell well on Blu-ray and DVD world-wide.
    Cinema release? I don't think it would do too well commercially.

8. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I hope the kid gets a chance to get his movie distributed. He seems like a pretty nice guy, just like his dad.