Timelines, reality,star trek, canon, and the Truth!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by hal9500, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is whatever Paramount pays somebody to make and put the Star Trek name on, it's not dependant on whether you like it :lol:

3. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't you have any Spike-threads to rant in?

4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    At the risk of opening a can of worms, I don't recall JJ ever saying he thought TOS was bad. He said he didn't manage to warm up to it so much when he was a kid, but that he appreciated the premise.

Besides, isn't it a little presumptuous to claim that it doesn't matter what the writers think about the science in their own film? Heck, this is their baby, and as far as it's concerned, they're God. Doesn't mean it has to be "real" from a "real world" point of view...but that's why they call it science fiction.

This was supposed to be a fun, summer action flick about cool characters, friendship and coming of age... not a dissertation on Time Travel Theories According To Old Trek Lore.

5. gilmour1899

gilmour1899 Ensign Red Shirt

I find it hilarious that some people on here deride others for liking Star Trek too much.

Not only is there a delicious irony in saying so on a Star Trek messageboard, but I guess they don't see that to attack others for not liking a movie is more fanatical than the person who doesn't like it. We even have the semi-religious term "purists" for those who think the movie isn't good.

Overall I liked the movie. Times have changed and Star Trek had to change with it aalthough the new timeline stuff is a rationalisation by the writers. They didn't want the crap of "canon" to hinder them. Fair enough, but lets not pretend otherwise.

I only hope now that the nuTrek goes to it's logical conclusion and shows the Federation as a benevolent empire (which it is) guarded by a military who although "on the side of angels" have to make real decisions that are the lesser of two evils - rather than "goodies" versus "baddies". A different reality is what the writers and fans seem to want so lets do it right. More section 31 and less Janeway's false morality.

Anything else will be a cop out.

6. CommanderRaytas

I don't think many of us who liked it have been calling people who didn't any names. I know you're going to protest, but it just feels that it's the opposite that happens all the time. It's only a small number of people, of course, who insult those who have a different opinion.

7. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Honestly, by and large, it seems like the only ones being mocked are the ones who are going out of their way to insult anyone who disagrees with them before they even have a chance to respond.

I was actually a little hesitant about joining a Trek forum. I thought it would be a lot like No Homer's Club, but so far, I'd say everyone has been really cool and nice to me. I post on a number of other forums, and this one is pretty much the same as those in terms of people, opinions, good manners and all the like.

That's just me though.

8. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

I was talking about the peeps, not JJ. But for JJ appreciated the premise, he would first have to understand the premise. He obviously didn't. He reduced had-working people who worked to get where they were, who were assigned to ship to destiny. The exact opposite of everything that makes Star Trek Star Trek.

No, it is not. How many painters will explain to you what a painting is supposed to look like or induce? They'll all say, it is what the one looking at it gets out of it.

This is no different. If a writer wants something in a movie, he better make sure it's clear in the movie. If it it's not clear, or if what's on screen even contradicts what they say it is supposed to be, it simply isn't in there.

You wanna know how often I've held red matter? Beach balls, clown noses, a cap on a tube next to me right now has red matter it in. I've had it on my lips after kissing a girl wearing red lipstick. And although it felt pretty amazing, the planet around me didn't get swallowed up in a space warp. "Red matter" is just utterly idiotic.

In fact, weren't people here complaining about the particle of the week in Voyager. I know I was one of them. "red matter" is the rather perfect example of what I've been saying, that this movie took everything good about Star Trek and tossed it out the window, and that took everything bad and made it worse. At least when Voyager pulled another particle out of their asses, they at least put some effort in creating scientifically sounding name, and its properties had at least some basis in either science or pre-existing ST science.

But "red matter"!?!?!??

There's no coming of age in this movie, there is only DestinyTM.

9. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ You sir, are making massive assumptions! Read my post: I never said once in any part of my post, that any of my non-trek peeps were 'happily deriding it for "how bad it is". And how it is NOT entertaining. And how it is slow and pondering and all that shit.' unquote 3D Master. Those are all your reactionary assumptions and your inept words.

You obviously either didn't read a word I actually posted, or you are so hate-filled with your anti-Abrams rant, that you barely understand what I posted.

:confused:

Just to reclarify: I never once said any of my non-trek peeps 'hated' trek, or 'criticized it', or 'derided' it - I said that they had 'become interested in the TOS, having shown no interest whatsoever' after watching Abrams movie - eg: they asked to borrow my eps on DVD, and in one instance, download remastered eps. Here's a helpful clue, you angry-person: having no interest in Trek does not equal criticizing Trek, or having a negative opinion of Trek - it is your assumption/lack of comprehension, that presupposes a negative where there isn't necessarily one.

:vulcan:

Then you go on to tell me what my friends think about this... according to your horrible siege mentality, lashing out like some scared caged animal. You really need to chill out, and learn how to read.

Oh but wait... You know what everyone in the world thinks about Trek because you have:

a) voted yourself to be the all-knowing expert, not just on Trek, but also on how people across this planet will relate to this movie.

b) deluded yourself, becoming a condescending, patronizing, cynic, who is determined not to like anything about Abrams movie, because now it's your pride at stake...

Now if I were making assumptions, like you, I would say you are a mix of both a) and b)...

but assumptions can be the mother of all f**K**s, so its best not to buy into them...

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No. Star Trek time travel did NOT work "a certain way in every time travel story". Star Trek was no more consistent with time travel methodology than it was with warp speed, how many centuries into the future from the 20th century (not until the movies)--the inconsistencies and contradictions are too numerous to list here. You can criticize the movie for any number of things (it's hardly flawless) but to criticize it for lacking a consistency that has never been a part of Star Trek is asinine (as is your not so subtle implication that anyone who likes the movie "lacks a brain").

11. CommanderRaytas

Making assumptions about JJs intelligence is sort of presumptuous imo. And "even one of them" includes him, but backpedal if you want to, it makes no difference to me.

Also, I did mention the "fiction" bit, didn't I? The problem with VOY and the particle of the week is that in every odd episode, they found a different thing, matter, what have you to get out of some pickle or other they had landed themselves in yet again.

Here, it is a plot device, but not a deus ex machina, and that makes all the difference. VOY was ruined by deus ex machina, there is no such thing here. Solutions are plausible, actions have consequences. That's why so many people complain about VOY, but not so many people are bothered by the red matter.

As for your thinking there's no coming of age, that's an opinion, not a fact, both from my side and from yours.

12. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Yeah, real scientist would never talk about something called dark matter, for example! Or go out of their way and christen serious quantum properties of elementary particles with silly monikers like color or flavor!

Oh, wait... ;)

13. Shaper079

Shaper079 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree time travel in Star Trek reacted differently each time depending on the method. Example: Time's Arrow the effects preceded the cause as opposed to First Contact where the effects were not seen until after the cause.

14. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

You are RIGHT MY MAN!

I don't want friends!!!

I don't want people to like me!!!

Abrams has destroyed my escape!!!

15. CommanderRaytas

Am I too late for the "raped my childhood" scene? :D

16. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

No not at all. There'll be one along any minute.

17. CommanderRaytas

Oh, good. I'll go get some popcorn. Call me when it's time.

18. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

Are you planning to make a music album?

19. CommanderRaytas

Damn it, you found me out!

:p

20. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

That would work in a crazy alternate mirror universe. I would pay 50$/ticket for a Nero metal concert...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.