Majel Barrett-Roddenberry To Play Computer Voice

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by mr.peany, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

She's the first lady of Trek, there will be a dedication in the new Trek movie.

2. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HUAk628lI7A

guys created my little tribute to the great dame, plz if you liked it post something nice about the great dame. I'll miss her a lot, she really made me laugh with her little messy affairs in STNG and DS9, she was awesome lady and I'll miss her very much. thank you. :(

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really sad news.
    But it is the fate we will all face at some point...I hope she's had a good life

:(

4. Plumster

Plumster Commander

There will be no on screen dedication to herat the beginning.

For 99% of the audience of this film - her name means nothing.

Is it right? No - but that's what will happen. We might see something at the end.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Most dedications aren't at the beginning anyway. They're usually at the end. Sometimes they're even integrated inconspicuously in the middle of the credits somewhere. Besides, certainly on TV at least, they have dedications for crew members the general public never heard of all the time. More people will have heard of Randy Pausch and Majel Barrett than when they insert a dedication to one of the cast or crew's recently deceased parents, as is sometimes the case.

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the other hand, I want to ask, was Heath Ledger honored at the beginning or end of The Dark Knight? He was an A-Lister by that point, so fame shouldn't be an issue with placement.

7. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Shocked and very sad here.

RIP dear lady.

8. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never heard of it being an issue. IMDB lists the dedication thusly:
    Conway Wickliffe was a special effects technician killed while doing a test run for a stunt for the movie. In the closing credits dedication he got the same treatment as Heath Ledger.

9. Hello It's Me!

Hello It's Me! Ensign Red Shirt

Ms. Roddenberry dies
    By Amber Dowling

The voice behind the ‘Star Trek’ computer passes away

Majel Barrett Roddenberry, the woman who helmed the Star Trek franchise ever since her husband Gene’s death in 1991, lost her battle with leukemia yesterday at her Bel Air, Calif., home. She was 76 years old.

Roddenberry began her Star Trek legacy more than four decades ago as the character Number One in the original pilot. She quickly became the blond nurse Christine Chapel in the original 1966-69 TV series.

She also took smaller roles in five subsequent TV series and most of the movie versions of the show, but was rarely involved in the actual production.

Perhaps most notably, Roddenberry was the voice of the Enterprise’s computer and recently completed voice work for the brand-new J.J. Abrams flick.

Fans might know her thanks to her many yearly appearances at conventions.

"My mother truly acknowledged and appreciated the fact that Star Trek fans played a vital role in keeping the Roddenberry dream alive for the past 42 years,” her son wrote on the official Roddenberry site.

Majel met her future husband in 1964 when she had a guest-appearance on The Lieutenant, which he produced.

The couple married after the show was cancelled in 1969.

10. Hello It's Me!

Hello It's Me! Ensign Red Shirt

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

12. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is really sad news. :(

Had no idea her illness was that advanced.

A true Trek legend has left us. May you and Gene rest in peace.

She did so much for the show, female roles in society and above all, for Gene.

It will be great to hear her in Star Trek, a real homage.

RIP Majel.

13. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek IV dedicated the crew of the Challenger at the beginning and they had nothing to do with Star Trek.

If Star Trek would of continued where it was before Abrams' Trek, I'm sure they would of included something. You never know. If not, the true Trek fans will keep her in their hearts.

This is astounding. Everytime I come here I keep hearing about a new celebraty's death. It's too bad. (about Majel). If a new series is ever made, I wonder who will be the new computer voice.

14. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would the setting of the movie have had much of a contributing factor if there is a dedication or not?

15. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't really matter at all how famous she was. Besides, she shares a name with another somewhat important Trek figure - GR - who will be getting the creator credit in the same movie.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Dedications in books and films are a highly personal matter to the people creating the work. It's rare that public pressure or desire results in a dedication, but if the person was significant to the creators of the book or film, then it's up to that person to suggest if there'll be a dedication.

Dick Crockett, who was a stunt man in TOS (eg the Andorian thrall in "Gamesters of Triskelion") was stunt coordinator in the movie "10", and died during filming, IIRC, so he gets a dedication in that film's end credits.

Sometimes a dedication is in the beginning credits. "Unification" (TNG), or at least its first TV screening, and ST VI were "For Gene Roddenberry", and ST IV acknowledged the deceased Challenger astronauts.

"Superman Returns" was dedicated to the late Christopher Reeve, and his wife, Dana (who passed away during the making of the movie). Their deaths affected the filmmakers personally, not just the general public.

Since JJ has had dealings with Majel during the creation of his new movie, and she then provided the computer voice, I won't be surprised if she's honoured in the credits with a dedication. But it won't be an honour roll of deceased ST actors - we've lost quite a few signifiant ones now.

17. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because the person I was replying to said because since J.J. took over, he probably could care less if a contribution was made to Majel Barrett. If Trek was continuing on from where I think it should be, from Roddenberry's vision, is why I stated what I stated.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Except that isn't what he said. Neither of the people quoted in your post mentioned J.J. Abrams at all, and the person you quoted directly said that the fact that most of the intended audience probably wouldn't know who she was had little or no bearing on whether a dedication would be included, and seemed inclined to think there would be one.

19. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

The ending credits is where memorials are usually put, and Majel will most certainly get one. As to 99% of the audience not knowing who she is, I say bullshit. If she was so obscure, her passing would not have been listed as a "top story" on Yahoo, IMDB, Variety, etc. Virtually every entertainment sites placed the story prominently, and not just those that cater to the genre market. We're talking mainstream media sites, and mainstream news networks, on what was most certainly not a slow news day.

20. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am not sure that is very fair or accurate to say on a couple of different levels. For one, if the movie is continuing on from "Gene's vision" or not has yet to be seen and is of a different discussion all together, not sure it has any relevance to the issue.

Also, J.J. & Co. cared enough to have her back on board for this new movie, and J.J. has given a statement regarding her death, that can be read here. So not sure what would give anyone the idea that J.J. could "care less" about making a contribution to her in the new film.