Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kaych, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Kaych

Kaych Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Intel's (https://boldlygo.intel.com/content/index.html) Star Trek website has been updated with a new U.S.S. Kelvin viewer. It includes new shots of the hanger, and phaser turrets. You can also see new pictures of the crew (and alien too!)

It seems the Kelvin is much flatter than we expected, with the engineering section and nacelle much closer to the ship than previously thought.

Also, it looks like the entire upper structure is a hanger.

The alien looks pretty damn cool though!

2. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Beautiful ship the Kelvin is... wow can't wait till the 1701 is on there.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is exciting indeed! Earlier, this site hosted art that wasn't quite representative of the real thing. Perhaps an early study? But most of the "flatness" here seems like image distortion to me. And the current artwork still doesn't satisfy me as representing the real thing - the pop-up turrets are still shown in the wrong places, not extending to the area immediately forward of the "U.S.S. Kelvin" pennant as the trailer shows. And the text adjoining the pics appears rather hastily and inexpertly thrown together.

Nevertheless, the first pics of the bridge crew are worth the effort of going through that silly interface.

Timo Saloniemi

4. Supernova

Supernova Lieutenant

Can someone post the pics? I'm having some trouble with the site...

5. Kaych

Agreed. The screencap of the phaser turrets shows them right above the NCC, but on the model, they aren't there.

And is it just me, or does Alnschloss K'Bentayr look ALOT like Arex?

6. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

I disagree, it just seems like it explains enough of the technical aspects to make it interesting, but without over technobabbling it. Pretty much seems like info from memory-alpha or something in condensed form. Watch the trailer again, the Phasers are in the correct locations.

Oh and I love the crew, can't wait to see em on the big screen.

7. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

That's pretty cool! Can't wait to see the rest of the ship.

8. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

seems to work (for me at least) in IE not firefox

9. Kaych

Took a while for me to load in FF, but it eventually worked. I'm pretty disappointed that they made Robau Cuban, instead of Pakistani though. Not to be racist, but I think a Pakistani captain would have made a larger impact, especially in today's world.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  10. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

I dunno - she doesn't look any flatter than what we saw before to me. Couple notes:

Looks like those pop-up turrets firing blue bolts are phasers after all, not rapid-fire torpedo launchers as some had speculated

The "windows" some suspected were on the nacelle are actually spotlights for the ship's registry number.

11. DRMidnite

DRMidnite Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

works for me in FF.

12. Kaych

Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics) HEAVY PICTURES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2008
  13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

funny first thing that crossed my mind when I saw his picture was Nero

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It does work in Firefox, but I recall a certificate issue when we saw things on the Intel site earlier this year. I also recall discussion of the nationality of the name and it seemed to turn up as Spanish/Latino more often than anything else.

That the actor isn't Hispanic is a detail; if Ricardo Montalban can play a man with Sikh-Indic heritage, then I don't see a problem with a Pakistani actor playing a part written as Hispanic. That's called acting, and if he's the right guy for the part, then that should be all that counts. We would have been much the poorer if Anthony Quinn had been allowed to play only Mexican-Irish characters.

15. Kaych

Oh, I understand that, but I think it was after the announcement of Robau, that Faran Tahir stated it was nice that they would have a Pakistani captain. Hmm, more of a shock than a disappointment I guess. To me it doesn't really matter, like you said more of a detail I noticed.

16. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

This all looks promising. :techman:

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I believe this is also the first instance of a blue uniform connoting command status.

18. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sweeeet.

Loving the TOS inspired shuttle re-design. :cool:

Ooooh, possible vintage (from Kirks point of view) starfleet uniforms. :techman:

Oh, and from that pic, we can surely assume......

Window. ;)

19. Kaych

Is it just me, or does it look like a protective shield is closing over the window?

20. The_Beef

The_Beef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Seems that its just the one nacelle, then, but they're sticking to the rules and giving it dual coils. I'm glad to see they mentioned that (not because I particularly care, but at least it should put that matter to rest). On a couple of other notes, I'm struck by how flat the saucer section is. I don't mind it in the least, but its just an interesting point. That and the huge nacelle really help to reinforce the idea that this ship is an earlier design.