Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

It's actually just an amusing coincidence, and one that I didn't even notice myself until it came up while I was a writing a scene for book two of the trilogy.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading the about the news about this series I can't wait to read them. I really like the covers for the first 2 books.:bolian:

3. David Mack

Because I offered up a fair amount of information about the Destiny trilogy at the Shore Leave convention this weekend, I'll repeat some of it here, for those of you who couldn't be there.

I'll put most of it in spoiler code; when posting your replies, please do likewise, to prevent accidentally spoiling things for other fans.

Ezri Dax will hold the rank and position of captain aboard the U.S.S. Aventine. She will have attained this position in such a seemingly brief time since her switch to the command track as the consequence of a battlefield promotion.

As Keith DeCandido posted elsewhere, the ships of the Vesta class are named for the seven hills of ancient Rome. Vesta was the Roman goddess of the hearth and home. There is no direct link between the class name and the names of the ships; the theme, if any, is merely one of names related to ancient Rome. I did not name the other ships of the class, however; Keith does, in A Singular Destiny.

At the request of editor Marco Palmieri, I borrowed only selected characters from the post-TV Deep Space Nine books.

Samaritan "Sam" Bowers will come aboard the Aventine as Captain Dax's first officer. Dr. Simon Tarses will serve as her CMO. Mikaela Leishman, now a lieutenant, will transfer from the Defiant to be the Aventine's chief engineer.

We will hear mention of Shar, but won't see him. No other DS9 characters will be part of the Destiny trilogy, and the specific resolution of several ongoing DS9 storylines will in no way be revealed or spoiled by the trilogy.

We will see at the very least cameos from every other 24th-century incarnation of TrekLit in the trilogy. Ships and characters from New Frontier, Corps of Engineers, I.K.S. Gorkon/Klingon Empire, and Voyager will play their parts in the tale.

For those of you who are fans of Keith DeCandido's novel Articles of the Federation, rest assured: President Bacco and her administration will play a significant role in the trilogy (not so much in book one, but definitely in books two and three).

Yes, the Borg are in it. But this is not just another "battle with the Borg" book. If it were, I would not have spent nearly 18 months of my life working on it.

Let me put it this way, and then I'll say no more on the subject until after all three books are out: We have, up until now, never seen an actual Borg invasion.

Picard's first encounter with the Borg at System J-25? An incident. The Battle of Wolf 359? Incident. The Collective's two failed sorties against Earth (in "The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2," and the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact)? Incidents.

You've never seen a bona fide Borg invasion….

This is as much detail as I'm willing to share publicly at this stage, so I'm not likely to answer any followup questions, except with maddeningly vague statements. Just FYI. ;)

4. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

All I can say is: why isn't it October, damnit! :scream: :D

5. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Oooh, Ezri's command crew looks interesting!

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't think it was possible for me to get anymore excited about these books, but apparently it is. October can't get here soon enough!

7. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

Damn! This info makes me want these books like right now! :eek:

8. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn it. How the hell am I supposed to enjoy the DS9 Relaunch now that I know Leishman is pretty much guaranteed to survive? Spoils any suspense the series might still have had.

I just hope it's the real Borg having finally decided it was time to assimilate the Federation, and not the generically villaineous Borg we've had of late. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, since so far the ridiculous Borg have been isolated to one cube (and its' spawn), and that an invasion would have to be staged from the Delta Quadrant, where presumably the Borg haven't gone all black hat in the interim.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Saying that Destiny is just another Borg story would be like saying that The Lord of the Rings is just another orc story.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know you guys won't say anything about this but I've been wondering if
    perhaps Greater Than the Sum's quantum slip stream will have something to do with this Borg invasion. IMO it would make sense since we know that the Borg lost the ability to jump to the AQ after Endgame.

11. David Mack

^ You're absolutely right, JD.

We won't say anything about that.

12. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

I know when this comes out it's going to become the new "What books do I need to read before Articles of the Federation but...

Obviously the books are in many ways the next parts of both the TNG relaunch and Titan, but are there going to be any unavoidable spoilers for those not up to date on Gorkon, SCE, NF and even DS9? I guess not so much with the ones still set in the 2270s... Obviously it's not like you'll go out of your way to drop in spoilers just to wind people up but I guess the right question is: do any of thier appearences spin off directly from the conclusions of prior stories from those books? Or is just a case of using the characters where they fit?

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I hope so too.

14. David Mack

The answer is fairly straightforward and doesn't really require spoiler coding: Ships and characters from the various franchises are used in situations that I felt were appropriate. In some cases, hints or teasers for upcoming events in those series will be present, but nothing I would call a true spoiler.

15. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I have to say is that I'm glad this particular villain is doing what they should have done a long time ago.

16. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for posting that, sounds quite promising. (But who here would have expected anything less...)

Perhaps one question is allowed, which isn't related to the contens: What about the Back-cover-texts? Or are those from the PB-Catalogue already posted the correct ones?

17. David Mack

The previously posted copy is not the actual back-cover copy, it was just hyperbolic placeholder copy for the catalog. I don't know when the real back-cover copy will actually be released.

18. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is it October yet?

Can't. Wait.

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

From newsarama's comic-con coverage:

Destiny will last through three novels starting in September with Gods of Night. This event will last all through December and have a wide-spread fallout that will leave only 11 starships behind

If that's right and not a misquote of some sort and that actually happens - :rolleyes:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080724-star-trek-panel.html

20. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

11 starships behind? Given we know that TNG Relaunch and VOY Relaunch continue afterwards, alongside presumably the DS9 Relaunch - can we not therefore name five of those ships? Enterprise, Voyager, Defiant, Titan and Aventine? Since I'm guessing that the Aventine is the ship mentioned as being in A Singular Destiny that was introduced in the Destiny Trilogy?